cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 15

Consistently low speed (1.75mbps)

Hello. I am at my parents home and the internet speed has for the past few years decreased quite drastically. It used to operate at about 55-60mbps download speed. To my knowledge the integrity of the line has not been compromised, but the router has spent long and multiple intervals either not connected or not configured  i.e orange light on a BT Home Hub 5. My parent's very infrequently use the internet. For this reason, I am suspecting and totally understand if Dynamic Line Management has detected an instability in the line due to its lack of use and lack of connection e.g. its likely the power cable is plugged but not the ADSL for example.

We were and are happy with BT but we have over the course of multiple months done the speed tests on the website and it has detected faults, which it has said BT is investigating and the investigations have been closed and determined as solved by BT. The problem of 1.75mb internet download speed and about 0.65-0.7 mbps upload speed persists though.

Because of the possibility of Dynamic Line Management, until yesterday I had the router on for an uptime of 15 days, all with the blue light and a constant connection.  This was until today when I unplugged it to attempt other sockets in my house. To my understanding, an improvement should be noticed in 10 days of uptime  but the speeds are still at 1.75mb.

Not a lot of devices are connected to it (my phone, desktop pc - connected via ethernet) , ethernet is also comparably slow which eliminates the problem of signal strength.  I've also attempted to use multiple ADSL filters and the sockets in both upstairs and downstairs of my house. There's never an interruption and it operates continuously but is just very slow.

On the speed tests on the BT website, upon completion it prompts me with a right to exit my contract due to BT not fulfilling the adequate promised speeds. I don't want to terminate my contract. All of the cables and equipment in the house is working. Given the nature of our current situation with coronavirus and my mother being immuno-compromised, it rules out an engineer visit. Is it possible to detect if DLM is the problem and do BT offer remote DLM resets like Plusnet propose? I very much suspect the problem is DLM because this router could well have been not operating for months and so the inconsistency/instability of the router may have triggered DLM to kick in. 

If it is any help, I have gone on my default gateway and this is the metric data, my numbers seem quite strong, and I can't see any problem in my numbers but perhaps any of you can? (image attached)btintenert.png

I keep trying to resolve the issue outside of term times from university when I'm home (Fault in line detected + fault claimed by BT as fixed) but I'm never around to further it unfortunately. I'd greatly appreciate any advice, suggested diagnosis, or furthering to BT staff.

Thank you! 🙂 

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Consistently low speed (1.75mbps)

@PC1060 

Does their phone work?

Quiet Line test
A faulty phone line will have a negative impact on your broadband connection. To help rule out any issue with your phone service please run a quiet line test by dialling 17070 from your BT Landline. If using a corded phone then the test should be quiet, if you are using a cordless phone then you may hear a low hum.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 15

Thanks for the suggestion! I called the number 17070 and pressed 2 for the quiet line test. The voice saying quiet line sounded clear, there might have very slight crackling but its so minor that I keep questioning whether or not there is crackling. Am I able to put up a recording of the call on this forum?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 15

Was using a corded phone by the way

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 15

There is no way to put an audio recording on this forum.

The connection time on the home hub is quite small, has the home hub been restarted a number of times, or been disconnected?

The very large downstream an upstream margin and the slow speed would indicate that DLM (Dynamic Line Management) has detected a line fault, which could simply be that the home hub is being turned on and off. Its intended to be left on all of the time, so perhaps they keep switching it off or unplugging it from the phone line?

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 15

It very likely has been disconnected in the past for long periods which is why I think DLM might have happened. My parents would be the type to unplug the router if they needed the plug, they're not very tech literate. It had been up continuously without interruption or disconnection for 15 days uptime until today. The only reason it reset today was deliberately done by myself to attempt connecting it to another ADSL socket in my house. Should the speed have been improved after having it on and running properly for two weeks? How would I go about getting a DLM reset if that is the case?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 15

When you say hub has been up connected for 15 days before you reset was that the hub had been powered up for 15 days or the dsl uptime was 15 days which is totally different?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 15

The hub was powered for 15 days and it had a blue light on it (Home Hub 5) and was used continuously throughout and no interuptions or cutouts were experienced, would that mean the DSL uptime and the uptime of the router were both 15 days? I'll keep a close look on the DSL uptime on the default gateway page.

In addition I think I downloaded the log of the router but its only for the first 10/11 days of the 15 days it was up for. Is there anything inside the log that would notify me of the DSL being inactive?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 15

Bump

Is it possible to get a DLM reset if this is the case? 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 15

as I said system uptime is not a guide to stability as that only shows hiw long router has been connected to power supply.  the important stat the dsl connection time which is found in hub stats  you can also go to system logs and filter using WAN and then look for disconnections and when system reconnects showing the new connection speed

until you can get a stable connection a DLM reset is pointless

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.