cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Consistently slow Fibre speeds

Go to solution

Hi there, I moved into my current house around 5 years ago, fibre wasn't available in the area yet and my download speeds sat around 2-2.6MB/s max. We upgraded to fibre as soon as it became available maybe a year or two ago, but our download speeds have never changed.

Every speed test I try out says that I should be getting around 17-20MB/s at the most, but I've never been able to get over the 2.6 mark. Is there anything that could be causing it that's fixable on my end or is it better just trying to get in contact with BT?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Consistently slow Fibre speeds

Go to solution

Hi @Eiksub and welcome.

Thanks for posting about your connection. I'm sure we'll be able to help. How are you testing? Is it wired or wireless? Can you try running this speedtest on a wired connection and post the results?

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

in addition to information requested by @DavidM  please can you post the stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser) and if  HH5 then go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and if HH6/SH2 then advanced settings then technical log information . 

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number   https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

BT Speed Test.jpg

Sure thing! This is the speeds running on a wired connection.

BT Info.jpgBT technical log.jpg

I tried the quiet line test too and it sounded a bit like there was quiet rain in the background.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

from the information you have posted your expected connection range is 33/18mb and you currently a connection speed of 24mb so well within expected range.  your download speed is 20.7emb which is consistent with a connection speed of 24mb

so looks as you would expect

if quiet line test is not quiet then phone 151 and report a phone fault

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.