cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rotarua674
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Constant Smarthub disconnect ing broadband

I”d welcome any advice on a problem that”s been happening for 54 days now.  Previously our Infinity 1 was perfect for 2 years.  On 18.1.18 our Smarthub started disconnecting and cycling through orange and green lights. It reconnects eventually but happens anything between 2 and 17 times a day.   We’ve had Openreach give our house wiring and line to the cabinets  clean bill of health and REIN engineer sees no interference.  Yet BT maintain that some interference is interfering with the Smarthub.  Everything in the house is pretty normal household electrical equipment.  We have FTTC.  Several Smarthubs have been tried.  We have disconnected all non-essential electrical equipment to try and rule out those as a source of interference but it still happens.  We’ve had over 6,000 minutes of outages so far.  BT Openreach say they think it’s a software issue as the Smarthub has difficulty authenticating.  BT itself says something in the house is disabling the Smarthub.  As BT has an infrastructure monopoly here we’re worried BT might decide this is unsolvable and drop us as customers - after 40 years.  We’ve cooperated with everything they have asked us to do but zero progress so far.  

Are there known issues lie, this with Smarthub or can anyone suggest what might be happening?  Thanks.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Constant Smarthub disconnect ing broadband

When you replaced your Smarthubs did you use the new power adaptor or just use the old one?

Have you tried plugging the Smarthub into a different electrical socket with no other appliances plugged into the same socket if it is a double socket

Do you have any powerline adaptors connected to your Smarthub?

imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

I can see one hub faulty and even the replacement but three seems very unlikely your problem is the hub.  I use the hh6 and have no problems as do many others

do the disconnection happen at any specific time or just random?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Rotarua674
Contributor
Message 4 of 9

Thanks for your reply.  We used the new power adapter that came with the replacement hub.  We have stripped everything down so that the Smarthub is the only device attached to a socket with a Mains Conditioning Unit to try and keep a clean power supply.  In the same room we have disconnected everything from the power sockets except a com-putter and disk drive. We used to have a power;knee adapter connected - the one sold on the BT Shop website but that is disconnected now too.

After a really bad day last Saturday we replaced the Smarthub with a HomeHub 5 and that has stayed stable for 36 hours.  Obviously the HH5 has poorer WiFi but I’m puzzled that the HH5 can keep the connection whereas the Smarthub can’t.

Thanks again

0 Ratings
Rotarua674
Contributor
Message 5 of 9

I’ve kept a log and over 53 days there is no pattern at all.  On about 5 days obver that period there were no disconnections or just one or two/. The rest of the time it can happen at any time, return for a few minutes or hours and then disappear again.  The REIN engineer said he could see no pattern in the logs.  What’s concerning me too is that BT have said it could be something as simple as a kettle or other device in any house along the 600 metres to the cabinet.  If that’s true then BT FTTC would be amazingly vulnerable!

thanks for your reply

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

When you say the HH5 stayed stable for 36 hours, did it disconnect then or did you swap it back out with the HH6.

If it was after the 36 hours that you swapped it out I would consider using the HH5 or for about £30 you could buy a third party VDSL Modem/router and replace the BT hubs altogether. If you find that it makes no difference you can always take it back to the shop.

0 Ratings
Rotarua674
Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Thanks for your reply.

After the Smarthub kept cycling green/orange again on Saturday 8day 53) we took it out and put in the HH5.  It’s this HH5 that has worked faultlessly now for almost 48 hours.  So we’re going to keep the HH5 in and are assuming the several Smarthubs BT supplied just weren’t as good as the old HH5.

It’s a relice to be able to use the internet reliably again so we will keep the HH5 in and look for a different solution for the reduced wi-fi compared to the Smarthub.  Alternatively, we’re open to any suggestions for good routers with a good WiFi reach which we could we could buy.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

0 Ratings
Rotarua674
Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Thanks. I'll check them out