cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KieronW
Contributor
Message 1 of 47

Constant connection drops and low speeds.

For months now we've been getting ridiculously unstable wifi and speeds, one minute we will get 65MBPS then within seconds it will just drop, this happens on all devices and seems to come out of nowhere, I've spent countless hours on the phone and just get talked through the same steps, changing channels, restarting the hub etc etc.

We had an engineer come over and told us everything is working fine but we need a new router, so we started a new contract for a new router but it hasn't changed anything.

As I speak the connection seems fine but at anytime it will drop and get literally no connection. Frustrating.

I've been told they've put my complaint higher and they called me saying that everything is fine and that the problem has been fixed but nope, a hour after that call the connection went down again.

I've had to call everyday for weeks now to call centres that are abroad, really starting to give up with BT, if anyone here can help me at all it would be appreciated.
0 Ratings
46 REPLIES 46
KieronW
Contributor
Message 2 of 47

Re: Constant connection drops and low speeds.

Also I'm on BT Infinity 2 with a Homehub 6
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 47

is it only your wireless speeds you are having a problem with are your wired speeds stable
0 Ratings
KieronW
Contributor
Message 4 of 47

My devices are all wireless, don't know about wired, I will try it when the internet goes down next. It's been shockingly quite good so the last couple of hours
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 47

Unfortunately wireless speeds can be affected by many forms of external interference this is why no provider will ever guarantee wireless speeds this is why speed problems will only be investigated when using a wired connection
0 Ratings
KieronW
Contributor
Message 6 of 47

We're not talking about a couple of minute wireless drop outs though we're talking about as low as 1mbps speeds out of nowhere and no wireless strength at all for sometimes days at a time. nothing has changed in our household than can explain wireless interference.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 47

it could be a faulty hub or external interference this is why it is very important to try a wired connection to eliminate these problems
0 Ratings
KieronW
Contributor
Message 8 of 47

most likely isn't the hub, as the hub we had before had the same issues so we replaced it with the HH3 we have currently (admittedly it has got a lot worse though). The next time it drops for a period of time I will check my laptop on wired.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 47

Test the consistency with an Ethernet cable.

My guess is some sort of wireless interference which you'd need to identify and try to work around. It wouldn't be the responsibility of BT.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
KieronW
Contributor
Message 10 of 47

I will get back to you guys on that, connection had dropped 3 times today but never long enough to be able to plug in my laptop and do any tests, happened last night at 1am whilst I was watching Netflix but was too tired to come downstairs to set my laptop up.

What could be causing interference? My router has been in the same place for the last 6 years with BT and only started getting the connection issues around 4-5 months ago. No furniture or anything has moved in the living room either.
0 Ratings