cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KieronW
Contributor
Message 31 of 47

Re: Constant connection drops and low speeds.

I'm going to try that, hopefully I'll find the right channel and the internet will start being more stable. This is annoying because we was on BT for years without issue and lately there's been non stop problems.

I'm going to try each channel, would it be worth switching back to 2GHz? Or does that not really matter.
0 Ratings
KieronW
Contributor
Message 32 of 47

Here's an update, I've tried wireless every channel on both frequencies, tried wired and wireless and still the same issue. None of our wireless devices are able to have a stable connection with our router, it's only worth using wired connections which isn't what we signed up for with BT so we're looking at ending our contract if this doesn't show signs of working soon as we're clearly not getting the service we was sold and it seems this won't be fixed any time soon. I've not been able to watch videos of my phone or play my Xbox properly for months without non stop connection drops and lag spikes, this happens on every device in the house. We get a wireless drop about every 5 minutes, we're really getting frustrated by this as we're running out of ideas, whatever the issue is is a new issue as we was with BT for years without issue but now it's every 5 minutes. We was sent a new hub as a replacement to rule out the hub and the hub was a BT home hub 3 which is ancient. We feel like we're getting nowhere right now we've already had 2 engineers visit too. Frustrating.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 33 of 47

Can you please confirm that there are no issues with Ethernet connected devices, only wireless devices?

Which home hub are you actually using at the moment?

0 Ratings
KieronW
Contributor
Message 34 of 47

It's a BT homehub 6 I think, it's the latest of the hubs.

Can't really answer that as we don't need ethernet cable devices long enough to be able to notice a difference, the lag spikes happen every 30 minutes or so.

My younger brother recieved some Xbox games over Christmas and hasn't been able to play them yet since he keeps getting kicked off, so we're all getting quite frustrated in this house with the internet at the moment.

I'll tried all channels and fiddled around with the frequencies and nothing has changed.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 35 of 47

Its always better to avoid wireless connections, and use broadband extenders instead, if you cannot run a direct Ethernet cable.

https://www.shop.bt.com/mini-sites/connected-home/broadband-extenders

The home hub 6 only has a choice of three wireless channels on 2GHz, out of 13, so its not very good in that respect.

I would not bother with 5G, as it only has limited range.

My only other suggestion at this time, would be to try a 3rd party router which allows all channels to be selected, and may actually give a more reliable wireless connection.

Prices start at £30, and are available locally or online. You can normally return them if it does not help.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 36 of 47

the 5ghz on my HH6 works well but just depends on how far your device is away from the hh6

did you also change the wireless mode from 1 to either 2 or 3 to see if that helps

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
KieronW
Contributor
Message 37 of 47

I'm not 100% sure what number of hub I have, I just know it's currently the latest one as we've only had it for a couple of months. On average we are getting lag spikes on each device at around every 10 minutes or so, sometimes they last for a few seconds and sometimes they will take the device offline completely for a while.

How good are the BT extenders? curious as to how they can help give a stable connection when they are wireless themselves. I don't think we're going to pay extra for any devices though as we're already paying £65 per month for the service as it is.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 38 of 47

your previous post said you had latest hub which is the HH6

did you split the 2.4/5ghz networks to see if that helped

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
KieronW
Contributor
Message 39 of 47

Don't think i've changed wireless modes before, only channels and frequencies, i'll have a look. Thanks

0 Ratings
KieronW
Contributor
Message 40 of 47

Yeah if HH6 is the latest then that's we have right now.

I've played around with the frequencies, didn't make any real difference unfortunately. 

0 Ratings