Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JamesRoberts7
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Constant cutting out with Infinity 1 + low speeds

Hello,

I recently upgraded to BT Infinity 1 as soon as it was made available in my rural area. BT gave me estimated speeds of 18-25Mb download. The upgrade occurred on the 19th August, nearly four days ago now. I live almost a mile from my green cabinet and am on FTTC.

I am aware of and fully expected instability for the first day or two, but what is happening is getting ridiculous.

On day one, enthusiastic speed tests (I know it won't be accurate for a while after installation) yielded 18Mb in the best tests. Several cut outs occurred over day one, but not too many and it was expected.

On day two, cutting out became far more frequent. Speed tests yielded no more than 12Mb. Following connection drops, the speed often stayed at 5Mb or so until the next drop. Some cut outs left me without internet for up to half an hour. Again, I wasn't too concerned as I anticipated this for the beginning.

On day three, it seemed to stay online for around an hour at a time, but then went into stages of disconnections. Once they started, the broadband went off and online every few minutes and only worked again after an hour or so. It became unusable for the day, but speed tests when it was online ranged from 5-15Mb.

It is now day four and the broadband can't seem to work for longer than half an hour. I have not seen close to my estimated speeds of 18-25Mb since the day of installation.

Every time the connection drops the router light changes to orange, sometimes flashing, sometimes with the orange "B" symbol.

In addition to this, the broadband drops seemingly every time the phone rings. The phone line is crackly and it is hard to hear the person on the other end.

It may be worth noting that a while ago, an engineer fitted a secondary socket in the wall upstairs. I have installed everything correctly, and I am using microfilters on both sockets. My router is connected to the socket upstairs, which has worked fine for years on the old broadband.

I have already scheduled an engineer visit under the crackling phone problem, but is there anything I can do in the meantime? I have to wait until the 25th for the engineer.

Is this normal behaviour, even though 3 days has passed now? Could this keep going for up to the 10 days testing period?

Sorry for the long post. Any information would be appreciated.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Sage
Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Constant cutting out with Infinity 1 + low speeds

Crackling on the phone line causes problems with VDSL connections. Once the fault has been repaired your broadband should stabalise and DLM will be able to do it's job as find the best stable settings for you.

JamesRoberts7
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for the reply.

So are you saying that once the engineer repairs the phone line, the broadband should immediately work as intended? If so, that is good to hear.

Does this fault in the phone line also explain the wildly fluctuating broadband speeds, or just the cutting out?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

faulty phoneline or more likely noise on the line will cause real problems with your infinity bearing in mind it is still the copper from the cabinet to your home.  once phoneline fixed and conenction stable your speed will improve

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings