cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aaron111
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Constant disconnects with no idea why ?

I have BT infinity with the speeds advertised which I was pleased with.

A problem I am having is that every day at random times I will get disconnected from the internet, and after 1-3 minuets it comes back on.

Now I have used every BT hub they ever made and they have all died or been classed as faulty my BT support when I reported these connection issues. Having had enough of blaming the hub I now own a Netgear XR500 connected to an openreach modem as this router doesn't have one built in.

Sadly connection still drops so I phone support who arranged for an engineer to come have a look. The engineer arrived and tested the master socket finding out that the line is perfect, no interference no drop and a Max speed of 70mbps which seams to impress him considering my location.

In the end he couldn't find anything wrong with the connection inside the house, there is no reason I should be having issues in his eyes. He checked the wires outside and the cabinet where he found some issues which he fixed. He replaced the master socket with the MK4 but pointed out he didn't like the open reach modem I was using saying it's not meant for my connection :S
Sadly the problem is still here, currently awaiting for a Netgear modem to replace the openreach one to see if this fixes the problem. But if it still won't go away what is the cause of all this ?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Constant disconnects with no idea why ?

Spoiler
if you have used the HH5 or HH6 and they would also drop connection then that would tend to rule out a problem with the separate modem

post back after you get netgear modem connected

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Aaron111
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

OK well it has been a week with the net gear modem and my connection has not dropped at all so far. A bit confused as to what had caused the connection issues as I have tried the following configurations in the past :

HH6 - random disconnects and low speed

HH6 +Openreach modem - Better speed but random disconnects

Netgear XR500 + openreach modem - Random disconnects (even after engineer fixed issues at the cabinet)

Netgear XR500 + Negear DM200 modem - No disconnects and better speed, perfect.

With a recent speed test I got the following results:

Ping 18 - DL 57.75 & UL 18.10 and that is with using a BT Broadband Extender Flex 1000

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

from that it appears that the netgear modem was the solution to the disconnections

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Aaron111
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Sadly it seams I was a little to eager to think the problem was solved. Since I have had the router I am still getting dissconnected from the internet, maybe not as much but it is still happening. 

Since I have replace all the hardware in my home this deffinatly not a problem with anything inside my house. Problem is now I am back to square one, I have no idea what is causing these disconnects its nothing on my end and neither is it a problem with the cabinet as that has been looked into already. 

I honestly don't want to be calling support again because they dislike the fact I am not using BT equiptment and try to make it sound like it is a problem on my end.   😞

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

are you able to post any stats from the netgear modem?

0 Ratings
Aaron111
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 7

What stats do you want ? The amount of informtation the XR500 gives puts the BT router to shame.  I have a PPPoE connection using my BT login details, both my IP and DNS address  are provided by the ISP (by default) it also has port scan and dos protection on but doesn't make a difference.

Not even one hour passes and I have been disconnected four times from the internet today, this really is not acceptable I can't get anything done. 

[Internet disconnected] Wednesday, June 06, 2018 11:41:39

[Internet disconnected] Wednesday, June 06, 2018 11:51:14

[Internet disconnected] Wednesday, June 06, 2018 12:20:54

[Internet disconnected] Wednesday, June 06, 2018 12:43:09

BytesPacketsUnprioritized
Transmitted79989648480
Received30732739239760

0 Ratings