Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
stephen_a_lynch
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 26

Constant dropouts and slow broadband on quiet test line - ongoing problem

Go to solution

We moved to a new house about 250m from our old house 3 years ago, and since then we have never been able to get a decent broadband connection despite multiple BT engineer visits.  Both my wife and I are technically proficient and we have tried everything to solve the problem, but to no avail.

We have got to the point of connecting our Home Hub 5 directly to the quiet line on the test socket through an ADSL filter. This is the best broadband signal we can achieve.  We still get constant dropouts and our broadband is down about 50% of the time.  The best speed we get is 1.88Mb.

BT does seem to have tried quite hard to fix the problem.  The last two engineers who visited reckoned there was probably intermittent electrical interference pickup somewhere between the exchange and the house but did not have the equipment to find it. We are actually quite close to the exchange so we should in theory have a good signal.

At this point I'm stuck:  As an electrical engineer, I can only think two ways to fix this problem:

(1) Change the phone line route between the exchange and our house.

(2) Obtain broadband through a method not susceptible to electrical interference.

At this point I'm beginning to think number (2) is the best long term solution, i.e. going with a different provider such as Virgin Media Broadband that provides fiber directly to the home.  I am reluctant to do this because I have been with BT for many years and I have always been very happy with their service.  However I can't really see any other option at this point. Has anyone else been in this situation? Is there any way forward? We are currently out of contract so now would be the time to move providers.

0 Ratings
25 REPLIES 25
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 26

Re: Constant dropouts and slow broadband on quiet test line - ongoing problem

Go to solution

are you on fibre or more likely adsl?

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number 

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
stephen_a_lynch
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 26

Go to solution

FTTC Range A (Clean)78.959.72018.6--Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted)70.446.22013.7--Available

WBC ADSL 2+Up to 6--4 to 8Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 6Up to 14 to 8Available
ADSL MaxUp to 5--3.5 to 7.5Available
WBC Fixed Rate2 ----Available
Fixed Rate2 ----Available
Other Offerings
FTTP on Demand33030--Available
Fibre Multicast------Available
Copper Multicast------Available
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 26

Go to solution

so are you on fibre or adsl

fibre is available to you with estimated 78/59mb

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
stephen_a_lynch
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 26

Go to solution

As far as I'm aware we have fiber-to-cabinet.  We are certainly paying for the premium infinity product!

And, certainly the last time I spoke to a BT engineer he confirmed that the cabinet in question was about 250m up the road. 

We've also had faster broadband after an engineer visit but it rapidly drops back down to the slower speed and then starts dropping again.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 26

Go to solution

if you have hh5 then go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and post 1-12

run btspeedtster and when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post results 

btspeedtester

0 Ratings
stephen_a_lynch
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 26

Go to solution

Hi imjolly,

I will get back to you with the results of the diagnostic tests later tonight.  Currently at work.  Thanks for your help in picking this up so far.

Perhaps you could clarify for me what you mean by post 1-12?

Stephen.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 26

Go to solution

if you have a hh5 then if you go to helpdesk there are a list of stats and need 1-12

0 Ratings
stephen_a_lynch
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 26

Go to solution

The BT speed test gave the following result:

Download speed achieved during the test was - 1.88 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 20 Mbps-1.82 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 1.82 Mbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.74Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 10 Mbps

For the HH5 Helpdesk I get:

1. Product name:BT Home Hub
2. Serial number:+068543+NQ41166093
3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204.1.11 (Type A) Last updated 07/07/15
4. Board version:BT Hub 5A
5. DSL uptime:0 days, 02:30:33
6. Data rate:798 / 1885
7. Maximum data rate:12752 / 66469
8. Noise margin:23.4 / 33.3
9. Line attenuation:19.4 / 16.8
10. Signal attenuation:18.5 / 16.8
11. Data sent/received:13.1 MB / 89.4 MB
12. Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 26

Go to solution

your connection speed is terrible.  you are on infinity 1 and should be getting about 40/10mb

was this self install?

so can I check you are connected direct to the test socket with a new filter and then with rj11 cable to dsl connection on hub  if you use test socket are all your other sockets 'dead'

your connection time is only 2hrs is that due to manual reset or router dropping connection?

if you try quiet line test with corded phone is it quiet no hiss/buzz?

0 Ratings