Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stephen_a_lynch
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 26

Re: Constant dropouts and slow broadband on quiet test line - ongoing problem

Go to solution

Yes the connection speed is terrible, although I could live with that.

It's the constant dropouts that are becoming a massive pain. We often lose broadband completely for half of the day (every day).  The connection dropout you observed in the stats was an automatic dropout not a manual reset.

This was a BT install, and I have never made any modifications.  Its never really been satisfactory and multiple engineers have genuinely tried their best to fix it.  This is the first time I have tried to diagnose the problem myself.

I should give you a bit of background about the house: It is a fairly large Victorian semidetached.  The internal phone extension wiring is an absolute mess.  There is also evidence that there was two separate BT lines coming into the house at one stage. I initially assumed that this legacy wiring was the root of the problem. i.e. that it was that this was acting as one big RF antenna and picking up noise from everywhere.  I am all to familiar with RF noise in my job.

I have tested the various phone extensions and they do appear to go dead when the faceplate of the master socket is removed.

I had assumed that using the test socket would remove the internal wiring from the equation and give me a clean quiet signal.  I'm afraid I don't have a corded handset to test properly for hiss/buzz on the phone line. I had to use a Panasonic cordless phone which I know is less than ideal.  However, I can't hear anything obviously wrong on any extension line, or through the test socket.

I did NOT however use a new ADSL filter - I used a spare that I had hanging around.  I would make sense to rule this out so I will try and find a new filter today.  The cable connecting from the ADSL filter to the HH5 is one of the standard flat rj11 types about 1m long.  I could also see if I can find a proper CAT5 rj11 to replace this?

0 Ratings
stephen_a_lynch
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 26

Go to solution

I fitted a brand new ADSL filter from Maplins to the test socket last night. We have now had a full night without any DSL dropouts (although I think our dropouts predominantly happen during the day).

1. Product name:BT Home Hub
2. Serial number:+068543+NQ41166093
3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204.1.11 (Type A) Last updated 07/07/15
4. Board version:BT Hub 5A
5. DSL uptime:0 days, 08:44:25
6. Data rate:798 / 1885
7. Maximum data rate:16678 / 65352
8. Noise margin:22.6 / 33.5
9. Line attenuation:19.4 / 16.8
10. Signal attenuation:25.8 / 16.8
11. Data sent/received:51.0 MB / 530.1 MB
12. Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com

The speed tests are still giving 1.88Mb download, but I did see a hint that the download speed had increased briefly. I ran some speed tests using the www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk site and I got two sucessive tests which briefly had the upload above 10Mb until it settled back down to a little below 1Mb.

If this genuinely has improved things, do I now need to wait a few days for the connection to stabilise? Will our broadband speed naturally recover after a while with no dropouts, or do we need to get BT to reset it at the cabinet? I remember that the last BT engineer did something to reset the speed after we had previously slowed down.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 26

Go to solution

if you can now get a stable connection then your speed should start to improve  first thing is to monitor connection and post back later with update

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
stephen_a_lynch
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 26

Go to solution

I was just in the middle of writing that the dropouts had finally stopped (see below), when the first one appeared.  I had cut and paste the stats below about a minute before the broadband went down. The speed test was still sitting at the same 1.88Mb upload / 0.7Mb download.

But Broadband has now gone down properly again!  I'm piggybacking on the BT-FON from next door to write this.

3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204.1.11 (Type A) Last updated 07/07/15
5. DSL uptime:1 days, 09:32:38
7. Maximum data rate:14251 / 65400
8. Noise margin:20.4 / 33.6
9. Line attenuation:19.4 / 16.8
10. Signal attenuation:29.8 / 16.8
11. Data sent/received:491.5 MB / 3.2 GB
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 26

Go to solution

if that is stats before drop with 1+ day stable can you post new stats

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
stephen_a_lynch
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 26

Go to solution

Okay back up again.

5. DSL uptime:0 days, 00:31:51
7. Maximum data rate:2773 / 14688
8. Noise margin:12.9 / 10.8
9. Line attenuation:37.9 / 38.9
10. Signal attenuation:35.8 / 36.3
11. Data sent/received:3.0 MB / 10.5 MB
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 26

Go to solution

these stats are a lot worse than before - attainable speed now dropped 14mb from 65mb and attenuation gone from 16.8db to 38.9db - something has gone wrong with your line

0 Ratings
stephen_a_lynch
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 26

Go to solution

So how best do I go about getting this fixed?  I've always been convinced there is something not right with the line to the cabinet.  But, of course it is an intermittant fault.

I'm getting really fed up of going through the standard call centre check list.  How do I get directly through to a real engineer that can actually help?

If there is a major source of electrical interference such as a transformer somewhere along the line, can I get the line re-routed? Or should I just give up and accept my house is in a black spot and try something different like a Virgin fiber to the home connection?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 26

Go to solution

you need to phone customer services and get engineer visit.

you cannot talk direct to openreach engineers nor can you get your line re-routed to another cabinet.  If an engineer decided the problem is with your phone line he may be able to do 'lift & shift' which means conencting you to a spare pare of wires assuming there are spare pairs and also that they are better than your current pair

0 Ratings
stephen_a_lynch
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 26

Go to solution

It must have dropped again while I was not looking. New stats are different again.

5. DSL uptime:0 days, 00:09:18
7. Maximum data rate:11988 / 67085
8. Noise margin:22.2 / 33.4
9. Line attenuation:19.3 / 16.5
10. Signal attenuation:22.2 / 16.5
11. Data sent/received:23.3 MB / 61.7 MB
0 Ratings