Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 21 of 26

Re: Constant dropouts and slow broadband on quiet test line - ongoing problem

Go to solution

if you are using test socket with new filter then you really need engineer visit to sort out your line and therefore your conenction

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
stephen_a_lynch
Aspiring Contributor
Message 22 of 26

Go to solution

After maligning the BT call centre, I feel sorry.

The gentleman on the other end was very helpful and extremely efficient. He listened carefully to my succinct description of the problem, asked one pertinent question about how I was using the test socket, did a quick line test, and agreed that there was indeed a problem with the line. Without any fuss he escalated the problem to level 2.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 23 of 26

Go to solution

hopefully you get engineer visit - soon

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
stephen_a_lynch
Aspiring Contributor
Message 24 of 26

Go to solution

Two strokes of luck, and hopefully a solution.  Time will tell !!!

The first stroke of luck was that the engineer which BT Openreach sent round was one of the local lads who lives nearby, and knows the area and its particular problems inside out. We've had this guy in once before and I was really impressed with him previously. He's a bit of a technical whiz and he brought along a few bits of homemade equipment to further help diagnose the problem.

After going through all the standard BT tests we could find absolutely nothing. He did extensive line tests both inside and out and still couldn't find anything.

Then he started looking for RF interference with his homemade kit.  As soon as he returned from his van it was obvious what the problem was.  The outside line was acting as a perfect antenna for BBC5Live and one of the local radio stations. It was so bad that you could actually hear the radio stations coming in through the broadband.  This initially presented a big problem because it would have required changing the route of the outside line.  Things were looking very bad for a solution.  We couldn't filter out the radio pickup even stacking 3 filters.

This is where we had our second stroke of luck.  There were 3 other BT telegraph cables from previous legacy installs coming into other parts of the building.  I asked him to check and he found that one of them was still live.  He moved the master socket to the other entry point and the stats below speak for themselves...

1. Product name:BT Home Hub
2. Serial number:+068543+NQ41166093
3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204.1.11 (Type A) Last updated 07/07/15
4. Board version:BT Hub 5A
5. DSL uptime:0 days, 01:09:48
6. Data rate:9999 / 39999
7. Maximum data rate:15900 / 66345
8. Noise margin:10.0 / 10.3
9. Line attenuation:20.6 / 17.1
10. Signal attenuation:20.5 / 17.1
11. Data sent/received:22.4 MB / 104.1 MB
12. Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 25 of 26

Go to solution

great engineer and a friend as well

looking good now

0 Ratings
Highlighted
stephen_a_lynch
Aspiring Contributor
Message 26 of 26

Go to solution

After giving it a week, I think I can confidently say that the problem has been solved.  We've had a one or two of short 5 min dropouts over about 10 days which is pretty **bleep** good. Speed is remaining pretty constant around 40/10Mb download/upload. Can't ask more than that.

You are absolutely right - great engineer and hopefully a friend. I wish there was a way to highlight his efforts to his employer.  I will certainly buy him a pint next time I see him out.

Thank you too for all your help.  Some of the links and tips you suggested were really helpful in confirming that we really did have a line problem that was outside our control.

Kind Regards,

S.

0 Ratings