cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Constant dropouts

I'm at my wits end!  Since moving home in early December my broadband (FTC) has been dropping out - sometimes as frequently as every 10 or so minutes. My child is trying to home school via the web, and she simply can't.

I've had visits from BT engineers, Outreach and been sent a (useless) mini-hub.  When I try to track my fault on line, I really don't need to be told "You told us the fault was fixed"  I have made a complaint, but have zero confidence that anything is going to change. What do I have to do...?

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Constant dropouts

@Grayfor 

Welcome to this user forum.

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

Hi,  As far as I can tell there's no problems at all with the line - certainly no noise.

The hub just seems to randomly disconnect, cycle through various colours, and re-establish for a while.

I don't know if it's just me, but it seems to do this more when "under load" ie downloading large files or streaming Teams or video content - of course, one would notice it more when actually trying to do something important.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

@Grayfor wrote:

Hi,  As far as I can tell there's no problems at all with the line - certainly no noise.

The hub just seems to randomly disconnect, cycle through various colours, and re-establish for a while.

I don't know if it's just me, but it seems to do this more when "under load" ie downloading large files or streaming Teams or video content - of course, one would notice it more when actually trying to do something important.

How long did you listen to the quiet line test, as it may take a while to hear if there is any noise on the line?

What does your master phone socket look like?

Keith_Beddoe_0-1577035081757.jpegKeith_Beddoe_1-1577035100602.jpeg

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

Didn't listen too long tbh. 

The master socket looks to be number1

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

@Grayfor wrote:

Didn't listen too long tbh. 

The master socket looks to be number1

If its dropping out frequently, then you may need to listen for longer. A noisy phone line is the most common cause of disconnections.

Its possible there is a bad connection on the master socket, its not unusual.

You need to check at the test socket.

Please can you connect things up as shown below, leave it like that for a couple of hours, and see if you still get the disconnections.

infinity_test.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

I wish I could! The master socket is installed in the meter cupboard, and I can't get the hub anywhere near it.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

@Grayfor wrote:
I wish I could! The master socket is installed in the meter cupboard, and I can't get the hub anywhere near it.

So where is the home hub plugged in, as it should normally be in the master socket, so I assume its connected to an extension phone socket?

The problem on the master socket is normally caused by a bad connection between the front bottom section, and the back test socket. Its often just a bit of oxidisation, but it could be corroded if its outside.

What you could try, to see if it helps, is to unscrew the bottom part of the master socket which should then detach itself from the test socket. 

You should find some wires connected to the back of that front section, they would be the ones going to your extension socket like this. Make sure they are not loose or corroded.

back_master_ext.jpg

If you can  gently clean the contact strip which plugs into the test socket, with an alcohol wipe to remove any dirt or corrosion, and then replace the front section again and make sure its screwed in tight.

See if doing this, prevents the disconnections.

PS

If, during the quiet line test, you hear crackling or hissing, then that would indicate you have a fault on your phone line.

Message 9 of 11

Thanks for the help, I'll have a look at it later.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

Yeah same here when my contract runs out going with someone better after 6yrs 

0 Ratings