cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Constant dropping, lumpy pings and slow speeds when connected

For the last 4 weeks now my Broadband has been dropping connection at random times (all day, non specific times). When it does reconnect,  it does so at around 50% of my usual speed and the connection is so unstable that ping is all over the place.

Thinking it may be a temporary thing I left it a while. The problem has not gone away and is becoming more than an irritation. 

I have checked local exchange nonsense which says my connection is fine and am really not in the mood for a "have you checked you router is plugged in" conversation with the copy and paste brigade which passes for Technical support (even if I got through).

Nothing in my setup has changed in any way for many months, hardware checks out, which leads me to believe it must be an exchange problem (as it was last time I had a problem). 

Does anyone know of simple exchange tests (other than the impotent one provided by BT) I can utilise to establish if there is a problem?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Constant dropping, lumpy pings and slow speeds when connected

Quiet line test, 17070 option 2, best with corded phone.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Thank you pippin. 

Tried that no line noise. Since I posted -----3 disconnections. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Just the 6 disconnections today. Only been on for 2 hours though.

Speeds still at half what they should be and wildy eratic.

Will update regularly.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Oh and another small problem. The lagging whilst gaming and streaming on seperate devices issue has returned. Games now unplayable whilst streamimg netflix.

This is utterly utterly tedious and hiding behind a community forum speaks volumes about BT and its unfathomable contempt for its clients.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

BT aren't hiding behind a community forum, they have a telephone number. Ring it.

As you don't rate the community forum I'll now bow out.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

I am well aware they have a number which I have tried and been on hold for over 1 hour on 3 seperate occassions. I am simply not prepared to wait any longer.

The remark was not meant to be a criticism of the community, merely an observation that at every turn of their onilne trouble shooting, it refers you to here, a place where people voluntarily give up their time in an attempt to help those who are simply ignored, lied to or dismissed by BT in their communications direct with them.  Indeed this community was the very forum that aided my previously posted difficulty as the BT moderators finally got in touch and resolved what was quite obviously a relatively simple solution (despite numerous previous calls to technical help denying I even had a problem).

So please do not present your interpretation of my post as a fact. It is not.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

@Qwikage - sorry to drag up this old post. Im just wondering if you got this resolved and if so, what was the fault?

It sounds EXACTLY like the issue I am having, and have been having for around 6 weeks (nothing has changed in my setup and it was working fine for around 2 years)

Cheers

0 Ratings