Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ginola14
Beginner
Message 1 of 24

Constant dropping out of BT Infinity service into HomeHub6 router and beyond

Go to solution

I want to know how to complain to the ombudsman as for over 12 months now we are constantly having the In finity Service (which can peak in excess of 70MB) dropping out for hours and DAYS at a time. Constnatly rebooting the "notSoSmartHub" is NOT a solution BT. The service is our area of AL6 is totally shocking and with a bill coming in at in excess of £100 EVERY CALENDR MONTH I simoply want BT to be held to account and admit that in most areas they simply cannot cope with the customer demand and hope that my limiting every house in an area in aprticular over weekends they can "get away with it". it sis simply NOT acceptable BT. You are a disgrace. Does anyone have the complaints procedure they can share with me?

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
ginola14
Beginner
Message 2 of 24

Re: No broadband, hub constantly orange

Go to solution

we are getting this comnstantly too. The ORANGE light we are told in our handbook "no internet connection at the box'. BT test remotely and even when engineers come they tell you nothing thye can do. I have concluded that the only way to deal with BT is to leave. get another ISP into your house and then AT LEAST as a new customer you may get treated seriously and with respect. BT simply look down their nose at you when you are trapped in an area of no cable. They know you have no real choice. They know that you can do virtually nothing. The broadban cutting out causes more rows in our house than anything else. BT are totally shocking and genuinely do not care as they have such a large %age of the market.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 24

Re: Constant dropping out of BT Infinity service into HomeHub6 router and beyond

Go to solution

what have you tried to fix your problem?

engineer visits, using test socket with filter, factory reset of hub? requested replacement hub?

can you post stats from your hh6  advanced settings then technical log information

can you check your phone line for noise  dial 17070 optopn 2 should be silent and best with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
ginola14
Beginner
Message 4 of 24

Re: Constant dropping out of BT Infinity service into HomeHub6 router and beyond

Go to solution

3 engineer visits

2 hub replacements

havent tried the dial 17070 option 2 number but will later

what I REALLY REALLY want is some way of measuring/recording/proving the UPTIME of the HH6 Router. I am guessing that we are around 6 hours blue 18 hours orange for any given 24 hour period. with a couple of unplugs, cycle through green and back to ornage or blue each day too.

I have always believed that BTInfinity simply squeezes too many customers (paying) into their underinvested in fibre optic infrastructure, green cabinets and exchange to green cabinets infrastructure - and then just lies to everyone. If you sit in a bungalow surfing on FaceBook of an evening I doubt you notice or care - BUT with 7 smart TVs, Netflix, ipads, iphones, 12 device Sonos, Alexa and other deveices in our house - you squeeze down our supply below 5MB and we are stuffed good and proper

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 24

Go to solution

Most disconnects are caused by problems with the phone line, usually a noisy line, which you need to check with a phone.

In rare instances, a device connected to the home hub can force a restart of the home hub, but that can be proven quite easily, as it would only happen when that device was connected to the home hub.

When the light goes orange, disconnect all devices and see if it stays orange. If it does, then is almost certain its a line fault.

The home hubs do seem to be quite fussy about line quality, compared with other routers.

0 Ratings
ginola14
Beginner
Message 6 of 24

Go to solution

when you say disconnect ALL devices - what do you mean? When the HomeHub6 is ORANGE there cannot be by definition any devices connected. Currently we have in to the 4 ethernet ports - one connected to my wifes PC in the same room. One connected to a Sonos speaker. And one connected to a Planet switch. That planet switch them has 7 or 8 cat6 cables going off around the house - mostly to smart TVs - one to my iMac in my upstairs office. By "disconnect all devices" what exactly do you mean? Does that include turning off Alexa devices? Sonus speakers and amps (there are 12) etc etc????

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 24

Go to solution

That is an awful lot of devices, but they would still be physically connected to the home hub, even if the light was orange.

You could unplug the four Ethernet ports on the home hub, and see if the home hub goes from orange to blue, that would cover quite a few devices.

Wireless is a bit more tricky, as you would have to go into the home hub manager, and turn off wireless.

As I have said, its more likely to be a noisy line causing the disconnections, so you need to look at that first, as if it was a device causing it, you would not get a period of disconnection lasting very long.

Trouble caused by devices normally result in the home hub rebooting, and the connection coming back within a couple of minutes, then the process repeating in a cycle.

I could suggest an alternative router you could try (not a home  hub), just to prove whether it is the home hub not holding the connection, as this is similar to what my daughter had with her home hub, and about 32 devices connected.

I swapped the home hub for a TP Link TD-W9970 costing about £35, and all of the disconnections stopped.

Check for line noise first as @imjolly  has suggested.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 24

Go to solution

@ginola14 wrote:

what I REALLY REALLY want is some way of measuring/recording/proving the UPTIME of the HH6 Router. I am guessing that we are around 6 hours blue 18 hours orange for any given 24 hour period. with a couple of unplugs, cycle through green and back to ornage or blue each day too.

The hub logs will tell you that, filter on DSL to see line breaks.

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 9 of 24

Go to solution

Hi @licquorice,

Apologies for the interruption but how does one filter on DSL on a HH6 please ?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 24

Go to solution

@pompey1898

as I posted previously I couldn't find a filter for dsl in the HH6 logs

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.