cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MonkfishEsq
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 17

Constant intermittent disconnects

Ever since I signed up to BT and was activated on the 22nd of March I've had constant interrupts to my connection every day since then. The faults started on the 24th and the fault tracker showed the problem was with BT retail servers.  Every week since they've resolved the fault and opened up a new one which lasts for a week before it repeats. I'm getting to my wits end with this now as it's almost impossible to do anything that requires a constant online connection.

Honestly shocked at how poor the service is after being with virgin media for about 13 years as I had to switch because they couldn't get fibre to the new property when we moved at the end of February. 

Here's what happens. The internet will disconnect for around 30 seconds while the smart hub flashes orange then it will come back and it happens multiple times a day. On particularly bad days like today it has disconnected over 20 times. Maybe that's down to the high winds combined with the fault from their end. 

I have an engineer booked out for Wednesday but dreading the possibility that he finds a "fault" on our property which I will flat out refuse to pay because it's BTs problem if they supplied me with dodgy equipment. 

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 17

Re: Constant intermittent disconnects

Nothing to do with servers or equipment, you have a line fault. Is there any noise when you do a quiet line test 17070 from the test socket behind the removable faceplate of the master socket?

0 Ratings
MonkfishEsq
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 17

How do you do that test? Do you need a landline phone? 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 17

@MonkfishEsq wrote:

How do you do that test? Do you need a landline phone? 

Yes.

You will need to test for noise using a phone, as noise on your line will cause dropouts.

If yo do not have a phone, buy a cheap (less than £10) wired phone to run a check.

Then dial 17070 (free call)  and select option 2, quiet line test, and see if there is any noise on the line.

If you do not get dial tone, or there is noise on the line, then you need to report it as either no dial tone, or a noisy line. Do not mention the broadband problem, otherwise it will end up in the wrong fault queue, and take much longer to be fixed. There are plenty of people who can fix phone faults, but not as many broadband people.

Once the phone fault is fixed, then the broadband will get better.

0 Ratings
MonkfishEsq
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 17

Having to buy a landline phone in 2019, I never thought it would come to this. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 17

@MonkfishEsq wrote:

I am afraid that unless you have a direct fibre into your house, broadband relies on old copper cables which were only designed to carry phone calls, and any noise on the line will affect broadband stability.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 17

@MonkfishEsq wrote:

When you have a  prolonged power cut and your mobile battery goes flat you might well be pleased you had a landline phone that still works.

0 Ratings
MonkfishEsq
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 17

Perhaps I'd be worried about that if I lived in Venezuela. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 17

Another good reason to invest less than £10 in cheap corded phone is to check your phone line to see if any line/noise problem and if so to ensure the problem is not on your side of the test socket before getting engineer visit. If you get engineer visit and problem in your home on your side of test socket then you will be charged £85 for call out

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 17

You obviously don't live in rural UK.

0 Ratings