Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Peatiest
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Contention/Peak speed issue

Hi,

I have been getting slow speeds (less that 10mbps) during peak times (after 11pm on a weekend night?!) on my Infinity 1 Connection for a while now. Could this please be investigated. I am on the HEREFORD exchange.

Many thanks,

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
borguk1of9
Contributor
Message 2 of 11

Re: Contention/Peak speed issue

Our cabinets in Bromyard are fed from Hereford, we are suffering with peak speed problems, I wonder if this is the issue BT complaints said they cant fix.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 11

any capacity issues are dealt with by BT Wholesale not BT Retail your service provider BT Wholesale will be aware oh the problem and will be working on a fix this problem will be affecting multiple providers not just BT Retail it is just a matter of waiting as it is out side BT Retails remit
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

@Peatiest I'm really sorry about the problems with your connection speed at peak times, BT Wholesale are aware of the issue and need to install more capacity at your exchange. They have two upgrades planned with estimated completion dates of the 30/11/16 and the 31/12/16. 

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
Peatiest
Beginner
Message 5 of 11

@NeilO Thanks for the info. Hopefully this will correct the issue.
0 Ratings
borguk1of9
Contributor
Message 6 of 11

NeilO our cabinets in Bromyard are apparently each directly fed on fibres from the Hereford exchange according to our openreach engineer. While I find this mind boggling not to have run to our local exchange and run local fibre runs it beggars the question is this why BT customers (not Sky or Talk Talk) are getting 6mb/s down at peak times ?

Is this why BT Retail support and complaints are giving their customers the run around since August/September because "BT Wholesale are aware of the issue and need to install more capacity at your exchange. They have two upgrades planned with estimated completion dates of the 30/11/16 and the 31/12/16." and therefore they can do nothing ?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 11

@borguk1of9 wrote:

NeilO our cabinets in Bromyard are apparently each directly fed on fibres from the Hereford exchange according to our openreach engineer. While I find this mind boggling not to have run to our local exchange and run local fibre runs it beggars the question is this why BT customers (not Sky or Talk Talk) are getting 6mb/s down at peak times ?

Why do you find it mind boggling, are you a network design expert?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

Smaller exchanges don't have fibre termination equipment in them so it's cheaper and quicker to bring fibre connectivity from larger exchanges.

Network design is very complex.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
borguk1of9
Contributor
Message 9 of 11

Understandibly when responding on these forums we know little about the poster/responder in real life, lets just say about me until 15 years ago when I switched to the rail environment I worked for Carrier1, Viatel, MMFN and Metronet building Nortel Network SDH based dark fibre networks. I oversaw the commissioning and testing as an SPM of 5500km 3 x 72-core Lucent Truewave RS with about 40 POP sites based in the major cities of europe. 312km of wet link using Alcatel submarine networks and self healing city builds in Berlin and Vienna with Lucent 216-core Accuribbon.

I didnt get involved with what I would call local wiring from the POP sites nor did I get involved with the SDH systems design but I did once give evidence in High Court of Justice in an argument between two carriers about the performance of one's fibres and was classed as an expert by both sets of Barristers.

So while not an expert on BT's network in answer to someones question I am not completely without some knowledge of network design, having had to deal with BT from a corporate side for many years I never rated them especially regarding delivery.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

Then surely you should have an understanding that what appears to be the simplest way of doing things, isn't always the case 😉
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings