cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
quaffa
Contributor
Message 1 of 3

Cordless Phone Base Station near to Router or near to Point Of Use?

Hello all.

Yesterday i discovered that my wi-fi router signal results in a very slow connection in our lounge, where I usually sit with my laptop, and I am taking steps to get a replacement router to help solve this issue.

Another thing crosses my mind though, is that we have a cordless telephone system in the house, and the base station for that is also where I normally sit with my laptop. It could well be interfering with the wi-fi reception there.

The dilemma I face is that we have just two BT sockets in the house. One is right by where my router is located, and the other is in the lounge where I use my laptop.

So, which is preferable: Having the telephone base close to where I want to use the wi-fi signal, or having it close to my router?

Any observations on that at all, please?

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 3

Re: Cordless Phone Base Station near to Router or near to Point Of Use?

It really shouldn't make much difference, but the only way to know is to try it in both places.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Foxcliffe
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 3

Re: Cordless Phone Base Station near to Router or near to Point Of Use?

Earlier this week an openreach engineer drilled a hole in my wall and installed a new socket.  In doing so he bypassed the extensions that BT were paid to install some 40 years ago (so there is now only one viable phone socket in the house) and, having done so, he then placed my cordless phone base unit immediately to the left/front of my HH6 (maybe 8-10 inches seperating the two).  Using my mobile to 'phone home' I watched the connection and there was no discernible effect.

That is not to say that your situation will be the same but it is worth a try to see what difference it makes to your current problems.

0 Ratings