cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 15

Cowboy Fibre Installation Fail

Just had installation engineer come to attempt to install Fibre to the prem.

Is it too much to ask that the installation engineer would use the correct size drill bit to drill a hole into my wall?

If they insist on drilling a massively oversized hole, is it too much to ask that they at least put a wall grommet so I don't have to stare at this ugly hole on the wall?

On the exterior it was the usual "Yeah I'll just slap a bit of sillicone on that for ya mate!"... nice... great job.

To top it all off, after making a mess in the house first, he then wasn't able to pull the fibre through to the front of the house as there was a blockage. Wouldn't it have been smart to check that first?

I'll just wait for BT to show up again (not holding my breath) to "investigate the blockage".

At least I still have my trusty 50mbps copper line... until that gets destroyed during the investigation no doubt.

NiceNiceGreat JobGreat Job

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Re: Cowboy Fibre Installation Fail

Looks like a contractor install. there should be a cover for the cable coming inside the property.

You are correct not holding your breath for BT to attend to anything, you'd suffocate. BT have nothing to do with the supply of the network, that is Openreach. Bt just resell network exactly the same as any other ISP using the Openreach network.

Once he reports the blocked duct a civils team will be tasked with clearing the duct blockage which can be quite quick depending on their workload.

I've known of a duct being cleared the following morning and an engineer complete the connection in the afternoon, not very often I might add, but it has happened.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 15

Ah yes, Openreach, the “independently governed wholly-owned subsidiary of British Telecommunications plc.”

Whilst stood in the cul-de-sac watching the engineer pull out the now brown, ant covered yellow rod, something wholesome happened - the neighbours started to come out to see what all the fuss was about. 

“I’m surprised you haven’t found a Tesco bag holding it all together down there” one cried. The other told me he had now been waiting two months for BT/Openreach/EE/Dave the contractor to come and finish the job after have the same issue. “8 vans we had out here a few weeks ago”.

In the meantime, I’ll be staring through that large hole drilled by Dave waiting patiently for the vans to return.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 15

So is your order with BT Consumer or a different provider ? , 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 15

Is there also no external grey open reach box or an internal white ONT?

How does the cable go in black and come out white?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquity ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
Message 6 of 15

The outer black layer is stripped off so it transitions from black to white in the hole.

Message 7 of 15

Ok, new to me, never seen an install like it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquity ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 15

@naylor2006wrote:

How does the cable go in black and come out white?

I was wondering that also!

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 15

IMG_7713.jpeg

He should’ve used an Inside Out Kit.

Funnily enough I found 6 in an old tool bag in my garage the other day.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 15

I’m quite used to seeing a black cable enter a Customer Splice Point on an external wall then the smaller white cable pass through into the ONT.

Was this engineer planning to splice inside or what? That’s quite a large inner also, looks like it could be RG6…no wonder there’s a light issue 🙂

0 Ratings