cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Crackling line and broadband drop outs

Issues started almost 4 weeks ago. At first it was here and there, a few dropouts throughout the day up until 2 weeks ago the real issues began. I rarely use the landline but I started to notice extreme interference - a lot of crackling. Since I've been working from home I do have to use the broadband more often than normal and I am aware that the strain on the whole network has been unprecedented but in the evenings when using Zoom or Teams the dropouts are more noticeable. Netflix and Amazon Prime don't suffer as bad; this must be down to how well they are optimised with buffering etc. The crakling on the line is a sign something isn't right and I can only summarise the dropouts are related to it. The service I have is Fibre, FTTC and copper to my property (again, this must be influencing the dropouts due to the age of the wiring). I have since signed up to 4G broadband (Three) and everything seems to be going well with that. I did like the service from BT, I literally had 10 dropouts  in over 18 months but in the past 6 days I've experienced nearly 300 dropouts. The service reconnects fairly quickly but using a company laptop I constantly have to sign back into the VPN, which is not ideal. My partner relies on the broadband for her business venture and it has now on 2 occasions caused her planned Zoom meetings to basically collapse. I am contemplating leaving BT and I would prefer it if the issue can be resolved but I will keep the 4G broadband as a back up. I have already logged this fault, twice and nothing has been resolved. I've checked filters, sockets and have done router resets etc. Crackling line is still persistent. I refuse to pay BT to come and fix the line - surely the quality of line should be known prior to allowing a customer to sign up? And how is it everything was fine up until 4 weeks ago, I had zero issues?? Anyone got any suggestions?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Crackling line and broadband drop outs

have you checked for line noise by using the test socket with a filter  if the noise is still there then report phone fault to 151 and get engineer visit which should be free but if noise is gone when using test socket then problem with your wiring and engineer visit could cost you £85

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

I'll look into this. If it is damaged wiring in my property it'll be a decision as to whether I stay with BT or not. 4G broadband requires no landline and currently is £33 a month less than what I am paying BT - for broadband 40mbs on a busy day, up to 65mbs on a quiet day, if i'm lucky, and a phone line I barely hear the other person speaking to. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

If there's noise on your phone line you'd need to inform BT and they will ask you if you would like to arrange a engineer visit, that's what happened to me. if you don't want a phone line, why not consider switching to virgin if its available at your property? you don't need a phone line with them. 4G really isn't reliable as a fixed line broadband. 

0 Ratings