cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Crackling phone line and internet dropping out

I have suffered with a crackling phone line since I moved in around 7 years ago, I had an engineer come out once who claimed to have fixed it only for it to return a few days later. I dont use the land line much and I wasnt willing to pay another call out charge so I have never bothered doing anything else with it. Now, for the last 3 months my broadband keeps dropping out, several times a day. I have reported it several times to BT with no solution. I have tried replacing the wire that goes from the little splitter just inside my front door (the one that takes it from an external cable to an internal cable) to my master socket, I have tried splitting the 2.4Hz & 5Hz, I have disconnected all devices, I have had a new router, I have plugged all directly into master test socket, I have plugged corded phone into test socket and still get crackling.  I simply cannot afford a £130 engineer fee, so was wandering if anyone has any tips about other things to try.  

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Crackling phone line and internet dropping out

There is no £130 fee if the fault is external to your premises. If the line is crackly at the test socket it is the responsibility of Openreach to fix it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

Thanks, so if the test socket is bad then it will definitely be an external fault?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

Yes an external fault no charge
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

Ideal, thank you
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 10

Hi @Cassie01,

Please post back an let us know how you get on when connected to the test socket?

If your still getting the crackling on the line, I'd be more than happy to take a look at this for you.

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 10

Hi Paddy,

My phone does still crackle when plugged into the test socket.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 8 of 10

Hi @Cassie01,

Thank you for try that in the test socket. Please can you send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile?

I'll run a few checks on your line and arrange an engineer if needed.

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 10

Hi @Cassie01,

I went to check into this for you when I noticed Riitta from the Twitter team had an open case and was waiting for you to reply back to her. I've let her know that you've been in touch and I've explained that the line fault may be behind the broadband fault. She's going to look into it all for you and will update you Smiley Happy

Thanks

DanielS

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 10 of 10

Lovely, thanks Daniel 😊