cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Judge001
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Customer service is incompetent, services unreliable.

BT have proven a poor choice from the very beginning, they have proven themselves incredibly incompetent and arrogant.

September last year I moved to a new build home, and found BT had installed FTTP (fibre to the premises) - a fast reliable internet connection I foresaw, cutting-edge technology implemented by a reputable company. Oh how very wrong I was with this assumption!!

Problems presented themselves right out of the gate with my innicial order. Equipment was not delivered to my address and the engineer visit assent arranged to come and install my equipment at a pre-arranged time. Before I could book the appointment, the sales lady dealing with my initial order must of realised she'd made an error with processing my order as she hung up on me at the end of the call just as I mention about the Engineer visit!! Very little positive energy I sensed in BT from this moment forth. In time I received emails from BT saying my services were up and running alongside contradicting emails stating I require an engineer to come to the property and install equipment. No appointment was arranged (as was to be on completion of my order). I found it almost impossible to arrange an Engineer home appointment as no one on the call lines would accept responsibility for my order.

A week later the router arrived - I installed it but the modem wasn't connecting to the router (orange light). After spending fifteen hours on hold being thrown from department to department (some U.K. based, others abroad) I eventually managed to speak to someone in BT's order management department who took time to look at my order, and an Engineer visit was arranged:

The Engineer visit proved productive, as the Engineer was able to identify a fault reguarding the registration of serial numbers, and they were not matching their assigned residencies. The Engineer had to spend over two hours on hold (to his own company BT!!) while at my property, determined to resolve this. To my most humble gratitude eventually he succeeded in getting the internet working.

After this my youview box finally arrived, so I could enjoy the luxury of cable television!

At this point all was well as the internet seemed to be in working order and fit for purpose, although I never got anything like the speeds I was paying for.

My perseverance seemed to have paid dividends in that I now had working internet and tv. However, I found myself reminiscing on those long strenuous evenings being kept on hold getting nowhare, so I wright to BT over five letters of complaint. Many moons later, to my astonishment, I receive by mail a generic, unsympathetic letter of apology from BT - refunding the cost of the engineer visit, but alas, no compensation for being on hold, and troubling myself in their incompetence. I cast it to one side and was thankful that I actiually had a connection.. for now at least.

As the months elapsed I grew content with the service BT were providing, happily getting on with stuff variably more important than an internet connection.

Of times recent I speak again of my contempt for BT, as the connection proves volatile and inconsistent, router turning orange often, and interrupting my work. I've grown wise to the trap of calling customer services now, and instead just wright letters of complaint to BT in the vein hope of a productive response.

The internet is essential for my work, I use a back up 4g modem as a backup during frequent BT internet faults. I inform Ombudsman of this dire situation, and as I reside in a new build property, look forward to the day Virgin Media brings their services to my door. BT is rapidly gaining a reputation for poor customer service - you need only look at these and other forums, as complaints are piping in from all directions. It's a real shame the anguish they inflict on unsatisfied customers is incomparable to anything I've experienced in telecommunications.
Tags (1)
0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Customer service is incompetent, services unreliable.

Hi @Judge001

Thanks for your posts and welcome back!  I have moved your post to the BT Infinity speed/connection board where it's more relevant and where you'll be offered the best advice.

I'm sorry for all the problems you have had getting BT Infinity (FTTP) connected and that your services is now showing a fault condition.

Do you want to have a go chatting with our technical team on live chat to see if they can get you sorted out?  You can chat with them directly here: Live Chat

Post back and let me know how you get on.

Cheers,

Robbie

Community ModeratorRobbieMac
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 11

If internet connection is essential to your work, perhaps you should consider a business line with a proper SLA rather than trying to rely on a best endeavours residential product.

0 Ratings
Judge001
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 11

As I am a student, the business line you suggest may not a viable option, as I require internet primarily for carrying out my studdy work and reasearch projects. The residential option seems to be the most appropriate option at this time. It's disappointing that the new FTTP modem in my property is not fit for purpose. This needs looking into by BT.
0 Ratings
sonyse2t5
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 11

The FTTH team is very hard to get hold off, I had complaint once as mentioned elsewhere and a representative informed me the FTTH crew is a small technical team, I said I don't mind waiiting but good to know where I am on the queue. I once had the FTTC team trying to contact FTTH team on my behalf and they couldn't get through any better than I did.

If you want to contact the FTTH team the morning is the best time. Other times is pure luck.Be prepare to wait and monitor the call on speakerphone till you get through.

0 Ratings
Judge001
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 11

The illusive FTTH team, I know all too well how difficult making contact with them can be.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Judge001
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 11

Faulty connection, ATROCIOUS customer service.

BT have proven a poor choice from the very beginning, they have proven themselves incredibly incompetent and arrogant.

September last year I moved to a new build home, and found BT had installed FTTP (fibre to the premises) - a fast reliable internet connection I foresaw, cutting-edge technology implemented by a reputable company. Oh how very wrong I was with this assumption!!

Problems presented themselves right out of the gate with my innicial order. Equipment was not delivered to my address and the engineer visit assent arranged to come and install my equipment at a pre-arranged time. Before I could book the appointment, the sales lady dealing with my initial order must of realised she'd made an error with processing my order as she hung up on me at the end of the call just as I mention about the Engineer visit!! Very little positive energy I sensed in BT from this moment forth. In time I received emails from BT saying my services were up and running alongside contradicting emails stating I require an engineer to come to the property and install equipment. No appointment was arranged (as was to be on completion of my order). I found it almost impossible to arrange an Engineer home appointment as no one on the call lines would accept responsibility for my order.

A week later the router arrived - I installed it but the modem wasn't connecting to the router (orange light). After spending fifteen hours on hold being thrown from department to department (some U.K. based, others abroad) I eventually managed to speak to someone in BT's order management department who took time to look at my order, and an Engineer visit was arranged:

The Engineer visit proved productive, as the Engineer was able to identify a fault reguarding the registration of serial numbers, and they were not matching their assigned residencies. The Engineer had to spend over two hours on hold (to his own company BT!!) while at my property, determined to resolve this. To my most humble gratitude eventually he succeeded in getting the internet working.

After this my youview box finally arrived, so I could enjoy the luxury of cable television!

At this point all was well as the internet seemed to be in working order and fit for purpose, although I never got anything like the speeds I was paying for.

My perseverance seemed to have paid dividends in that I now had working internet and tv. However, I found myself reminiscing on those long strenuous evenings being kept on hold getting nowhare, so I wright to BT over five letters of complaint. Many moons later, to my astonishment, I receive by mail a generic, unsympathetic letter of apology from BT - refunding the cost of the engineer visit, but alas, no compensation for being on hold, and troubling myself in their incompetence. I cast it to one side and was thankful that I actiually had a connection.. for now at least.

As the months elapsed I grew content with the service BT were providing, happily getting on with stuff variably more important than an internet connection.

Of times recent I speak again of my contempt for BT, as the connection proves volatile and inconsistent, router turning orange often, and interrupting my work. I've grown wise to the trap of calling customer services now, and instead just wright letters of complaint to BT in the vein hope of a productive response.

The internet is essential for my work, I use a back up 4g modem as a backup during frequent BT internet faults. I inform Ombudsman of this dire situation, and as I reside in a new build property, look forward to the day Virgin Media brings their services to my door. BT is rapidly gaining a reputation for poor customer service - you need only look at these and other forums, as complaints are piping in from all directions. It's a real shame the anguish they inflict on unsatisfied customers is incomparable to anything I've experienced in telecommunications.

As I wright this I find myself once again on hold to the fault team at BT. I endeavour to get the issue resolved and receive the compensation I deserve. I wonder if BT's FTTP technical team or Openreach are aware of the great failings of their poorly implemented technology.
0 Ratings
Judge001
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 11

Promising news, I've been granted an ENGINEER VISIT!!! I at last got lucky and somehow made it through the labyrinth of call centres today. I anticipate the prospect of maybe having a working connection in the near future...
0 Ratings
Judge001
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 11

Bad news, the appointment was booked, then cancelled by BT, re-booked, and never arrived on the day of the appointment. Youview box still faulty, no response from BT.
0 Ratings
Judge001
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 11

I've been offered a small 'good will gesture' of £40 for all my effort in these matters. Immiedietly I rejected this as it was an insult in itself on behalf of BT. Considering the length of time I've spent trying to sort out the issues, and the faulty connection, 'good will gesture' and would not be received by my myself gratuitously as it was portrayed very directly as a 'let's shut him up £40.'

BT are a terrible company to deal with, I urge anyone reading this to leave them and free yourselves from the shackles of their grotesque mannerisms.

£40 really feels like an insult. To consider the records of cut-outs in my internet over the last 6 months, over 500 faults. Coupled with records of being on hold to BT, over 40 hours! The service I receiving was not for for purpose, far from. The arrogant complaints team suggest I take the £40 or they'll inform their managers. Please, you shame yourselves! Grow a backbone and do right by the people that pay your salerys!!

More on this later...

0 Ratings