cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

DLM after identifying and fixing line noise

Go to solution

Hey there!

Hoping someone could offer some advice... We moved into our new home on the 10th and internet services were activated on the 13th (even though the technical start date for internet was the 17th). 

When we first arrived I noticed that internet speeds were surprisingly slow considering we are relatively close to the cabinet, so gave it until yesterday to see if speeds would improve (they didn't) So with some minor knowledge on how speeds can be affected, I decided to take the front panel from the master socket and plug directly into the test socket.

After doing this speeds jumped up from 31 download 5 upload all the way to 38 download 9 upload. This indicates to me that it's likely that wiring to the other sockets was causing noise, which I'll be permanently getting fixed soon.

From before this all happened, noise margin increased substantially to around 9db. 

Question is in my instance would a DLM reset be worth asking for? Thanks for any help!

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: DLM after identifying and fixing line noise

Go to solution

vdsl.jpg

 If needed for clarity

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

if you have line noise even from the test socket then you need engineer visit but if no noise then must be your internal wiring and your problem to fix

if your current speed is 39mb then you are within expected range however as you have just moved in to new home and connection is 'new' you may be able to get engineer visit to sort your problem  you need to phone 151

as in expected range you are unlikely to get DLM reset unless engineer does it assuming you get free visit

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

@imjolly 

Thanks for the reply!

So since getting an engineer out wouldn't fix anything (since I've corrected the issue that did exist) is there any other way of getting a DLM reset? I'm asking as I had heard last year that BT themselves were able to now request this? I also did see in previous topics on this forum that a few of the Mods had helped in this regard?

See I'd feel awful (especially with COVID) getting an engineer to come out for a DLM reset and nothing else and was hoping to perhaps avoid this!

Thanks again for the help!

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

you currently are within expected range and as new connection you need to leave it connected and DLM should automatically increase your speed as long as line remains stable

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

I appreciate your help! Thanks again 🙂

0 Ratings