cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DW16
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

DLM reset after power outages and engineer visit cause speed loss.

Go to solution

Hi all,

Been on Infinity for just over a month. The service is great. My pings are rock bottom. And up until a few days ago I had a perfectly stable 67Mb~ download sync.

We've had multiple power outages in my village, which has knocked the hub offline. We have also had a problem with the migration of our number over from Virgin to BT. When we get an incoming call, the Virgin phone still rings with our number. When we make an outgoing call, we have to use the BT line. It's bizarre, both lines have the same phone number.

Anyway, long story short; BT demanded they send an engineer out, despite the fact I told them the line is perfect, and it's a problem with the handover/migration from Virgin to BT on their system that is screwed up. The Engineer confirmed there was nothing he could do, after running some tests and replacing the old style 70s socket. He agreed that the line is fine.

Anyway, he has left now, but all the distuption over the past week, and the disconnections while the engineer was testing has seen my line speed drop by just over 10Mb. I'm only a few Mb away from the guaranteed minimum I was promised when I signed up. I'm paying for the up to 76Mb package, and my line is getting well below what I know it is capable of.

What would be my best and quickest route to get a DLM reset?

If I can't get a reset, I might as well just downgrade package, as I'm pretty much on the maximum speed for Infinity 1 at the moment.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: DLM reset after power outages and engineer visit cause speed loss.

Go to solution
only an Openreach engineer can carry out a reset if a fault is found with the connection all you can do now is maintain a stable connection for the next 2/3 weeks and allow the DLM to reset automatically
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

if you have a HH5 can you go to hub manager then trobleshooting then helpdesk and post 1-12

can you run btspeedtester and when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post results  must be done with wired connection  btspeedtester

can you enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number wholesale FTTC check

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
DW16
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution
1. Product name:BT Home Hub
2. Serial number:+068543+NQ60335290
3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204.1.11 (Type A) Last updated 28/04/16
4. Board version:BT Hub 5A
5. DSL uptime:0 days, 04:38:41
6. Data rate:20000 / 58223
7. Maximum data rate:22500 / 62257
8. Noise margin:6.1 / 7.8
9. Line attenuation:14.5 / 14.9
10. Signal attenuation:14.4 / 15.0
11. Data sent/received:159.0 MB / 7.1 GB
12. Broadband username:

bthomehub@btbroadband.com

test results.PNGtest results 2.PNG

As I said before, last month I had a solid 67Mb with zero disconnections and no interleaving. It is only after the power disruptions and the engineer visit today that it has massively dipped. I would have thought the new master socket and filtered faceplate would've made it faster if anything, not over 10Mb slower. It's a shame you can't just reset it yourself.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

At least you haven't been banded by DLM, so your speed should increase eventually.

0 Ratings
DW16
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

If you don't mind me asking. What do you mean by banding?

DLM just seems stupid in this case. Sure, I get that 95% of people aren't too technical and just want a connection that's as stable as possible. But there should be an option to reset DLM in your account or the advanced section of your modem. It's so much hassle when you know that your line is perfectly stable, and perfectly capable of more bandwidth. The only factors working against me are the (now fixed) power outages and the the BT engineer repeatedly disconnecting the modem to test the line.

I think I'm just going to downgrade to Infinity 1. I'm starting to regret leaving Virgin. At least when I mentioned issues with them I had an engineer out 2 days later for free, installing line attenuators and running tests to ensure I was getting over the promised speeds by 8Mb (I had 158Mb on a 150Mb package).

BT's philosophy is: "yeah, might not be as good as it should be, but that'll do". I'm surprised the BT engineer didn't reset DLM anyway, considering he was here for 45 minutes and admitted that there was nothing to fix.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

Banding is the severest action DLM takes on an unstable line. It caps the line at a speed it considers the line will remain stable at and can be identified by a sync speed that is a round number e.g 35000Kb/s (or 34999Kb/s). Once banded, DLM is very reluctant to remove it. My line became unstable for a few hours back in March which resulted in my line being banded, it has been stable since but is still banded.

Have a look at http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/DLM_profiles.htm

0 Ratings
DW16
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

I've got some pretty good news. I didn't manage a DLM reset. But thankfully, after leaving the Home Hub on with no disconnects since the engineer left, the profile has gone back up to 64Mb from 54Mb, and interleaving is off. Hopefully another few days and it'll settle back to 67Mb.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

Certainly moving in the right direction @DW16. Keep us posted.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
TNT555
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Looks like you where hit by interleaving.

It's hard to tell with a home hub but the general rule is if you lose speed and gain no noise margin, it's probably DLM adding impulse noise protection, which also uses what is called Forward error correction which is usually expressed as a fraction and it uses part of the available data stream to send a separate stream to help the modem correct errors.

This usually will be removed after 8-24 days of stability and low errors. a better pairing of the same manufacturers chipsets in both the modem and cabinet helps.

Genuine Banding or  speed capping you lose speed ( usually after a real fault where you didn't realise there was a fault, where the engineer does not reset DLM like he or she should if they where at your property )  and you get left with spare noise margin.

usually when this happens on ECI cabinets in my experience and like i'm experiencing right now it's you can have a fully  stable line for months a years and these caps do not get removed. Getting BT to fix this is like drilling into your skull. I had to use the very real thret of cancling because the act of moving to a new provider would actually get me my speed back to force them into action, before re contracting.

My advice even with a home hub is always use a seperate modem if you care about these things when it's reasonable to do so, you can reboot the home hub without the modem dropping the DSL line, This is very handy when they have buggy software which they often do.

0 Ratings