cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
planetf1
Expert
Message 1 of 7

DLM reset (auto - not manual)

Ok perhaps reset is the wrong word, but how long would it typically take DLM to readjust to a stable line?

I've had issues with my HH5a, replacements, and been comparing with an HG612, finally culminating in trying out a VR900 which is now installed & I'm intending to give it a good shot for a few weeks (30 day return policy)

In the initial faffing around I ended up with a rather minor DLM effect whereby my line is capped at 35 Mbps (previously I was around 36-38 Mbps.. .I'm on infinity 1). Currently I don't seem to be seeing errors or drops, and ping times suggest interleaving is off. 

Over how many days does DLM retrain back to more positive line conditions (if they are such)? Is it about a week?

I understand any increase would force a line resync in the early hours? So I should just see it automatically?

is 6 dB SNRm still the target on up/downstream (as a max, subject to error rates)?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: DLM reset (auto - not manual)

DLM can but not necessarily will take weeks to restore your line and it will only do that if there is no more problems with it. There is nohing you can do to speed it up. 6 is the target.

I doubt you would even notice the difference between 35Mbps that you are presently getting with 36/38Mbps that you had previously without doing a speed test so I wouldn't loose sleep over it if it doesn't happen for a few weeks, if at all.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

My line was banded at 35M over a month ago, the line has been ok since but DLM hasn't relented yet.

As gg says, without looking at the stats I wouldn't be any the wiser that I wasn't getting the 40M I had previously.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

that drop in speed would not suggest DLM action the DLM if it comes into action can take 2/3 weeks stable connection before it would release any action taken
0 Ratings
planetf1
Expert
Message 5 of 7

To clarify too, when I said 35 Mbps, I guessed this from the sync, the actual IP profile from the wholesale checker is reported as "IP Profile for your line is - 32.41 Mbps". The SNRm is around 8dB currently so I could try a resync..but.. don't want to make the DLM gods angry 😉

As to noticing, in part you are right, though having had a mare of issues with the HH5a (poor modem, worse wifi) I wanted to get confidence in my new purchase (TP-Link Archer VR900) within the amazon returns period. In part that's stability, but I'm not quite comparing like with like as it stands. And of course there are many factors beyond my faffing but that's likely a contributory factor! I'd also rather like to compare the VR900 with the HG612, in particular as I have a hunch I've lost 1 Mbps upstream, which at a mere 5-7 Mbps is significant (online backups etc) but am wary about reboots/disconnections causing further DLM hits

Is it still generally the case that a router reboot/power down *without* unplugging the DSL line *should* not really affect DLM (more concerned with errors.drops)? Is there still a recommendation to leave the modem/router powered down/disconnected for 30 mins+ between changes?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

The best thing is just to power down your present set up then change your modem/router over and then leave things alone.

DLM will not be affected by one power down, it is constant disconnects that causes problems.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

The power down will cause a loss of sync which WILL restart the DLM timer though.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings