cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Message 61 of 72

Re: DLM reset

Go to solution
DLM doesn't just take into account loss of sync. It also takes into account errors on the line amongst a few other measures.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 62 of 72

Go to solution

I know, but it still doesn't seem to want to remove banding despite the error performance being OK.

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 63 of 72

Go to solution

Same for me. I see a few FEC, but otherwise the only time I've seen any errors is during the recent thunder and lightning. 

hg612_errors-week.png

No prizes for guessing when the lightning was.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 64 of 72

Go to solution

If DLM hasn't relented after 65 of connection and the fault no longer being present then I would deem that itself to be a fault and in my opinon, would warrant an engineer visit.

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 65 of 72

Go to solution

Now all we have to do is persuade the 'help desk' that that is the case in order to get an engineer visit. Smiley Wink

Distinguished Sage
Message 66 of 72

Go to solution
Or raise a complaint if they won't.

The system obviously isn't working as it should.

If the powers that be were aware of this and how many watsed engineer visits it were generating, perhaps it would be a catalyst for an investigation as to why these lines are not being released from their bandingZ
planetf1
Expert
Message 67 of 72

Go to solution

Still banded here at 34999. SNRm down is 8.2 with expected max at 38832 - so only a smallish difference, but it's so frustrating that this banding which kicked in earlier in the year isn't going away.

And the original (partial) cause. Trying to use the utter rubbush that was the VDSL model in the HH5a - constant drops, slower speeds, whilst the trusty old HG612 is rock solid

I'm seeing in the order of one errored seconds down every few hours, about 2 an hour upstream, with G.INP enabled. - those rates are low. perhaps half a year has now passed since the glitch causing banding so what on earth are openreach/btretail doing to address the issue.

It appears to be DLM is "broken". I can see what DLM tries to do, and clearly it's generally working decently well, but this "stickiness" is IMO a fault that Openreach need to address 

Has anyone had success with any remedy - I undertand currently only an engineer visit can sort this which is pretty much a lose-lose for everyone in terms of time and money.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 68 of 72

Go to solution
Realistically, are you going to see a difference if you get an extra 3meg sync? I very much doubt it.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 69 of 72

Go to solution

My attainable is about 50M but I'm still banded at 35M (since April) but I really can't face talking to the helpdesk even for 15M extra speed. Can't see that I would notice the difference for what I use the internet for.

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 70 of 72

Go to solution

Same here. I'm at 34,999 with max of 54,700, but even with the large jump I might get, I've given up fretting about it.

35Mbps is more than enough for working, browsing, streaming music and HD films... usually all at the same time. The only time we might notice any difference would when something like happened recently.... with a number of PCs doing their Windows 10 'anniversary' update occurs. That's rare.

I think the only reason to try and get something done would be a matter of principle, because as webby says, it's very unlikely you'll notice any difference between 35Mbps and 38Mbps. As an example, for a 1GB file download it's the difference between 4 mins 05 seconds vs. 3 mins 45 seconds.

0 Ratings