cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 4

DNS failures on Fibre to Home

I have a fibre to home connection which periodically locks up, sometimes up to three times a day. I have done some diagnostics and discovered there is nothing wrong with the fibre connection(the smart hub itself say ithe fibre is connected) I can ping 8.8.8.8 so the network is working, if I change the computers DNS to 8.8.8.8 (googles global dns server) the internet on that computer starts working . So the problem is with the BT DNS server that responds to my DNS queries. I have phoned BT support several times and it's like talking to the monkeys at the zoo. The best I can get them to say is 'Have you tried turning the smart hub off and on'. This does fix it but it is not a solution. They have even sent me a replacement smarthub which made no difference. I appears there is no way to change the dns server  address that the dhcp server on the smarthub. Further calls to BT support seem worthless , they have told me to raise the question here. Appartently BT tell me they can't be expected to give any support on there own network faults.

Any help in what I can do would be welcome. The other suggestion was to pay for BT expert support, more chimps I think. My only option to me is to get BT to agree to cancel the contract .

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: DNS failures on Fibre to Home

ISP DNS servers are at times known to be flakey (for a better word). You can either disconnect the hub for about 30 mins to get a new IP address using a different BT server or do the sensible thing and get a third party VDSL router that will allow you to set your own.

Highlighted
Message 3 of 4

I have a netgear d7000 I used with my last isp and had intended to swap over but couldn't get it to register, some quick googling told me it wasn't compatible with fttp. Is there a vdsl router people could recommend?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 4 of 4

The Netgear is compatable, you need to connect to the WAN port for connection.

"Gigabit Ethernet WAN port provides universal compatibility with any Internet service"

0 Ratings