cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

DNS issues once VPN connects

Hi All,

I'm having issues when trying to use VPN on my BT line, my company has 6 different sites I can connect to in different locations. However the moment I connect to VPN in any location I'm unable to access any web pages due to DNS lookup failure. I can still ping 8.8.8.8 (google) 

Has anyone else had this over a split tunnel VPN?

Kind regards,

Danny

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 6

Re: DNS issues once VPN connects

Company websites tend to use secure VPNs' for obvious reasons, so I'm assuming your company have issued you with a secure VPN key/dongle? Without it, you have no chance

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Thanks for your response, we have two authentication methods depending on the VPN profile, one just uses AD creds and the other a MFA push notification to my phone. These all go through successfully and the VPN connects its only after connecting I have the DNS issue.

If i test the VPN connection over 4G using my phones internet connection to the same endpoint it connects successfully and DNS continues working. 

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 6

There was a similar sounding question on here recently but I don't know if it was resolved. I think the question was something like Do BT throttle VPN Connections if you want to search for it

Message 5 of 6

I'll take a quick look, thanks for the tip!
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Have you turned off obtain DNS automatically on the device you are using and entered google DNS?

2020-06-16 19_46_17-Reply to Message - BT Community.png

0 Ratings