cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tomdonuk
Message 1 of 3

DO I need to connect to my Master Socket?

In short, my question is ... does my home hub have to be connected to the master phone socket?

I am looking to take on BT phone, broadband and TV package but my master socket is in my kitchen.  The house is 10 years old and from that master socket the builder installed other BT phone points throughout the house.  Can I have the home hub connected to my livingroom socket which is obviously not the master socket but a "spur" from the master socket?

I don't fancy having the hub in my kitchen.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Stoofa
Contributor
Message 2 of 3

Re: DO I need to connect to my Master Socket?

You can have the master socket moved - so Openreach engineer will do some "messing about" with your cabling and make a different socket your master.

Or you can have a data cable run from the existing master socket to a more suitable location - this is a handy option if you're unsure of the quality of your internal wiring.

0 Ratings
tomdonuk
Message 3 of 3

Re: DO I need to connect to my Master Socket?

Thanks.  I am comfortable my wiring is good, but with concrete floors, I am unsure if recabling would be a tidy option.  My Sky broadband hub is connected to my livingroom and works alright.  I am just checking there is not an essential need for the hub to be plugged into the master socket.

0 Ratings