Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bwfc122
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

DSL CHECKER STATUS CHANGE

Hi There,

We have had really poor broadband for a while on the old copper lines, adsl2 top speed of around 3.5mb.

After annoying the council and openreach we are finally getting upgraded to FTTC, our new cabinet 11 got installed last week and now I have this VDSL option available, does this mean I can get the speeds listed in the below screen shot under VDSL? I have only just noticed the change today as we were on Horning cabinet 3 over 2.3KM away, the new cab is only 600 yards away with FTTC just around the corner hopefully.

Please can somebody advise on if I can get the 8mb DL speed below? as I have ran a speed test and were still getting the old slow speed.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Jack

DSL CHECKER.PNG

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
pippincp
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: DSL CHECKER STATUS CHANGE

The speed given by the checker looks low for a cab only 600 yards away, your line must go around the houses.

Anyway, you will be able to get the speeds listed but you will have to upgrade your contract from ADSL to the VDSL service. Give the options team a ring.

0800 800 030

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

If you are presently on ADSL or "Normal" broadband you would need to "upgrade" to Fibre broadband in order to get the higher speeds.

It is not an automatic upgrade. It means new equipment and taking out a new package with BT or other provider.

The VDSL speeds that are shown on the estimate checker that you have posted would indicate that you are not on the nearest cabinet but are connected to the one much further away.  

0 Ratings
bwfc122
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 6

Thanks for the reply, I think its still a working progress with the upgrade they say it can take a while as its so complex the transition from the old cabinet to reach the maximum speeds.

Ok cool, I will contact them to see if I can get the VDSL speeds.

Kind Regards,

Jack

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

The checker is not showing that VDSL is available yet. It is showing as "planned" so you would not be able to order at the moment.

If the cabinet has just been installed it could be a few months away before it is available to order.

pippincp
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

@gg30340 My bad. Its been a long day!