cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sage
Sage
Message 11 of 39

Re: DSL Checker Speed changes

Yes, your line is impaired due to the bridge tap.

0 Ratings
Littlepace
Contributor
Message 12 of 39

So is that something that they can sort? Or is it a, just gotta live with it problem?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 39

Noticed mine has gone up too. Was 45-61 on the clean A range. It’s now 49-66.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Littlepace
Contributor
Message 14 of 39

Ah so I'm not so special, how disappointing. Is the bridge tap a permanent problem Then? Or can I request a fix?
0 Ratings
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 15 of 39

Ah, yes, due to the "newly-discovered" Bridge Tap you are actually on an Impacted line & are getting sync speeds accordingly in that range. Yet BT originally gave you estimates for a Clean line.

That's what this is all about.

I dunno whether Bridge Taps can be removed. I understand they occur within the wiring in your own home. Perhaps someone else might know.

Message 16 of 39

@Webby or @DavidM either of you guys know whether this can be sorted out? I'm die a call from BT tomorrow to discuss whether it's been sorted or not so could do with knowing before then
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 39

When customers order BT broadband the quote that they will receive will always be based on Wholesale's 'Range A' speed estimate.  Range B is for what Openreach call “impacted lines”, i.e. lines with something wrong with them.  

BT don't necessarily know that the line may be faulty so range B speed estimates aren't helpful at the point of sale. However should the lines be faulty, BT can raise a fault and get the line fixed, putting it back into range A.  That is why BT only quote range A speeds.

If the customer's speed drops below the bottom speed of range A then it indicates an issue.  Not necessarily a fault, could be any number of the usual culprits causing the drop in speed.  

If after running through all the usual checks and the customers speed is still below the speed estimate then the only recourse is to report a fault to BT who should then raise it with Openreach.

0 Ratings
Littlepace
Contributor
Message 18 of 39

Ok then thanks for that info. I shall inform the woman who is due to ring that I have an impacted line. Should I mention the bridge tap, will she know what it is??
0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 19 of 39

@XRaySpeX wrote:

Ah, yes, due to the "newly-discovered" Bridge Tap you are actually on an Impacted line & are getting sync speeds accordingly in that range. Yet BT originally gave you estimates for a Clean line.

That's what this is all about.

I dunno whether Bridge Taps can be removed. I understand they occur within the wiring in your own home. Perhaps someone else might know.

Bridge taps don't occur in the home per se. There are a throwback to the days when party lines were used. 2, 4 or even 6 different subscribers would share the same line but only one could use it at any one time.

At basic level they are like star wiring (hence your confusion perhaps) in that from the tap several pairs radiate from the pair from the exchange and cause an impedance mismatch.

More info HERE if you wish to read up one it.

That said the OP may have Star wiring which may have led the checker to identify it as a bridge tap. I don't know Openreach policy on removing bridge taps but as they are a known cause of problems (especially with VDSL) I would expect it to be done.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 39

@Littlepace wrote:
Ok then thanks for that info. I shall inform the woman who is due to ring that I have an impacted line. Should I mention the bridge tap, will she know what it is??

I would just inform the caller that your line is not delivering your guaranteed speed and leave it up to them to sort out what the problem is and how to fix it.

If you make suggestions it could cause "closed mind" diagnostics and they try to fix the "fault" you suggested whether or not that is the problem.

0 Ratings