cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

DSL to Fibre to Cabinet upgrade - new router needed?

Go to solution

My father is currently on BT ADSL and has recently ordered an upgrade to fibre (to cabinet). This appears to have come through now but he currently has no connection at all.

Quick question from me is whether he is likely to have needed a new router and settings to support this?
He was using his own DSL modem (a five or six-year-old Netgear product) and hadn't had a router from BT previously.

Just trying to get a feel on where I need to point him as he's not as good at this as he used to be (and lives 200 miles away).

I can't get FTTC where I live so and I'm on Virgin as a result so haven't got any point of reference to help him.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: DSL to Fibre to Cabinet upgrade - new router needed?

Go to solution

@Cybergoths 

BT should send him a new home hub, as his old Netgear router will not work. 

When is that due to be delivered?

The other option would be to buy a compatible router locally, and use that.

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/dsl-modem-router/td-w9970/

About £35.

Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

just phone BT 150 or 0800800150 from mobile and get a new hub which should have been provided on upgrade

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

BT would send a Smart Hub if your father needed one, if in the past he's been supplied with a hub capable of supporting VDSL like a HH5 or Smart Hub, they both work with ADSL and VDSL, then a new hub wouldn't be needed or sent.

Ask your father to look at the order reference starting VOL, he can then visit www.bt.com/trackmyorder and enter the order reference and postcode, it will state if equipment was sent and track its location.

Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Thank you!

0 Ratings