cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Jayebmx
Contributor
Message 1 of 18

DSLAM Failure in cabinet, but seem to be the only one affected?

I apologise for the re post, my other post was long winded and too much information!

BT diagnosed a DSLAM failure in the cabinet I'm
Connected to in a new development, and we have a total loss of service, however next door neighbour unaffected? Surely we are on the same DSLAM card in the cabinet as its a new development and would have been put in the same time!

(DSLAM was diagnosed 2 weeks ago but still not fixed, been without internet for 2 weeks!)

How long does it take openreach to replace an DSLAM?

-Jaye
0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: DSLAM Failure in cabinet, but seem to be the only one affected?

I doubt the whole DSLAM is faulty, likely a faulty line card.

Line card have 32, 48 or 64 ports depending on the type of cabinet they're in, so it's wholly possible you and your neighbour are on different line cards.

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Jayebmx
Contributor
Message 3 of 18

The BT engineer said to me that the DSLAM was faulty, and that they have 100 ports and it has to be replaced by openreach?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 18

If your neighbour has FTTC and it served by the same cabinet then it can't possibly be a complete DSLAM failure.

DSLAM's have either, 96, 128, 288 or 384 (new High Density cabinet) ports.

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Jayebmx
Contributor
Message 5 of 18

We are in a FTTC neighbourhood and this is where my issue lies, we have been told it's a DSLAM, but we are the only ones affected! And two different engineers have told us this! He said something about the cabinet is full and I can't put you on another port so solve the issue so bt have to come out and replace the DSLAM and increase capacity, but if it's a line card how long should it take to be resolved! Because two weeks in anyone's book is slightly frustrating
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 18

Ok, the issue is possibly that your port is faulty, but there are no spare ports in the cabinet.

If this is the case, it could be months before a new cabinet is installed
0 Ratings
Jayebmx
Contributor
Message 7 of 18

Thanks for that, I mean it's so annoying how BT tell you one story and then another! As we are without service at all at the moment would it be possible to be reverted back to a standard ADSL service while it gets repaired?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 18

Yes, that would be a possibility. You need to find out for sure exactly what the situation is though before going to do that.
0 Ratings
Jayebmx
Contributor
Message 9 of 18

Actually just had a turn of events really, my friends just moved into another new development today which would be served by the same cab and BT are coming out to install fibre on Friday? However BT told us there isn't any ports free in the cab? So how's that going to be possible? It just seems at the moment BT are taking the p**s at the moment
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 18

How do you know it's the same cabinet?

If he ordered it a few weeks ago he may have got the last port. Ports are allocated as soon as an order is accepted.
0 Ratings