cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Franlo
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

DSLChecker speed estimates have changed by 60Mbps.

Hi

I have put in the offer for my home a few weeks ago. Before I did I checked the speed for fibre and it said my new home was capable of 80Mbps. I called BT today and they said that it is only capable of 19Mbps.

So I went back to dslchecker and checked again this morning and it does in fact say max is 19Mbps. I then checked several other house numbers and it only seems to be only 3 that are saying 19Mbps. All the rest are saying 80Mbps. I have attached an image below to show the homes I checked.

The homes at the top and the bottom of the street all say 80Mbps but only 3 in the middle of the street say 19Mbps. These homes are around 8 years old and all use underground cables.

The cabinet is less than 100M away. The exchange is less than 1.3K away via roads. I know someone in house number 77 bottom right on the image, they are on ADSL. I called into BT again and asked them to check this address and they confirmed that they can offer 80Mbps.

All of the estate below is using cabinet 56 which is in the top right of the image.

I know the speed should be 80Mbps and don’t want to sign up to a contract offering 19Mbps max. If I do I won’t be able to escalate it or get it fixed and put back up to 80Mbps.

It looks to me that there is something wrong with FTTC or one of its cards, or that OpenReach have found a fault and change the Max attainable to 19Mbps. I know the cabinet is not full because 77 can get it and they can get 80Mbps. So it’s not a route change,

How can I get this checked out? Or confirmed it there is an issue at their properties, it would need to be a big issue, for such a big change in such a short time. Maybe a power generator has been put in the cable ducts.

How are the estimated speeds pulled and what can I do if I think they are wrong at point of sale?

Can I get this checked in advance? I got my solicitor to check with the seller and they are on ADSL and say they have had no issues.

Thanks in advance for your help.slowSpeeds.png

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: DSLChecker speed estimates have changed by 60Mbps.

Address checks are not very reliable. If you know the phone number of the property and assuming it is a BT phone number you should check using that number. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 8

They could be on a different street cabinet to the others and not yet fibre enabled. There is no way openreach will move you should it be that cab is different. Covered numerous times already

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Franlo
Beginner
Message 4 of 8

They are all on the same cabinet. 56. When I called in to get the line checked my new home the operator said the line is a BT customer. So they should have checked in more detail.
I don't have the existing number.

When I called in the cab number was the same for all the homes I checked. No 30 and 77 are both on cab 56. Both are currently ADSL.House number 30 can get 19Mbps on Fibre and 77 can get 78mbps according to BT sales.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

As already posted addresses are not accurate and only phone number is reliable

dslchecker results would help but if no phone number then inaccurate 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

BT work on the same estimate checker as you do. 

All lines are unique so comparing with neighbours is not much of a guide. The lower speed ones could be routed differently even although they go to the same cabinet. The lines could be part aluminum which has a detrimental effect on speeds.

If the estimate checker is saying you can only get 19Mbps then that is what you should base your considerations on.

If you do decide to order you will be given an estimate of your speeds and a minimum guaranteed connection speed.

If your connection does not reach that speed and after you have given BT an opportunity to attain that speed and assuming they can not, you are able to leave your contract without penalty.

If you do order and when you get the estimated and guaranteed connection speed which will be as soon as you order, if you are not happy with the speeds you can cancel the order at that time however the speeds will be the same for any of the ISPs because they all use the same infrastructure from the cabinet.

0 Ratings
Starwire
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 8

As people have stated the Address Checker is not as accurate as a fixed landline.

Also I’ve no doubt when the DSLAM went live ALL of those houses said they could get 80mbps. After time they will adjust the average speed according to what they are actually getting and for all you know the houses that estimate 19mbps are probably working the Router off the end of some cheap naf extension cord, which itself is plugged on the end of a Star Wired LJU. They’ve either not noticed the loss in speed or just don’t care.

If fast broadband is so essential for you to be able function why not buy a house that you know has FTTP???
0 Ratings
Franlo
Beginner
Message 8 of 8

Thanks everyone for all your help. I understand that its possible there could be routing issues, or different grades of cable etc that can add resistance to the line. In a network infrastructure engineer. When I viewed the house it had the router connected to an NTE with a mark 4 service specific faceplate. The BT router is connected direct to the master socket.

Also, my friend in No 77 has been having issues with the land line. Crackling, Openreach are booked out for Tuesday.

There looks to me be an issue, because of such a speed drop. Neighbouring line speeds were also faster for my friend.

I'm still stuck in a catch 22 situation. The line I'm moving to needs fixed but I can't do that until I move in. But in order to sign up I have to accept the current speeds offered. So there is clearly something wrong with this process. I should get offered an average of the neighbouring lines. So I could get OR to check the line when I move in. If it then turned out the cabinet was full and the slow speeds were a result of re-routing that would be fine.

This seems to be a fundamental flaw at signup. I've spoken with Sky, BT, and PlusNnet it is out of control for ISP'S.

When we buy a home we get a home survey done, in this situation I need OR to do a broadband survey as well.

I've found this process to be frustrating and disappointing. I think this needs to be highlighted and some new process put in place to protect customers at point of sale when there is a fault on the line and the wrong line speeds are calculated.
0 Ratings