cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
papalozarou
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 16

DSLchecker returning different cabinet numbers for telephone number and address

Am unfortunately in an area in Kings Cross where I can't get fibre. I've been checking Openreach once a week, for about the last year, where we've been 9 months away from fibre for pretty much all of that time.

Today I checked DSLchecker for both my number and address and have gotten different cabinent numbers, showing different options.

With the telephone number I get cabinet 28 which shows ADSL 2+ and VDSL availability. With my address I get cabinet 19 showing nothing but ADSL 2+. When using the superfast-openreach site I get cabinet 19 for both address and telephone number.

Telephone:

Telephone Number … on Exchange KINGS CROSS is served by Cabinet 28

Screenshot 2016-08-01 12.27.20.png

Address:

Address … is served by Cabinet 19

Screenshot 2016-08-01 12.27.11.png

Which of the above is more accurate?

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: DSLchecker returning different cabinet numbers for telephone number and address

telephone number should be most accurate

have you any idea how far you are from exchnage?  what connection speed do you currently get on adsl?  the estimated speeds for adsl2 are widly different

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
papalozarou
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 16

Re: DSLchecker returning different cabinet numbers for telephone number and address

Thanks for the reply imjolly

It's just under half a mile as the crow flies to the exchange.

In terms of speed, I'm getting anywhere between 8-16 down and 0.1-0.4 up – it varies wildly with time of day.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 16

can you post the stats from your router please

have you tried ordering fibre?  have you checked with neighbours to see if they have fibre?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
papalozarou
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 16

I'm not presently at home (in office), so can't post any stats at the moment.

In terms of trying I've spoken to BT and to Andrews and Arnold. Though in BTs case I've not rung them up just used their on site checker when originally ordering. Andrews and Arnold suggested bonded lines (a little expensive)

In terms of my neighbours – there's 8 flats and four businesses in the premises. None of my neighbours have fibre as it's been the subject of much discussion amongst us (some care some don't).

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 16

as I said using the dslchecker with your phne number is the most accurate

your could try writing to openreach and if you get auto reply then send again until you get reply of an actual person

https://www.formwize.com/run/survey3.cfm?id=7214&embed

0 Ratings
kinthos
Contributor
Message 7 of 16

I don't get it.  Isn't your telephone number suggesting you *can* get fibre?  Pretty good speeds too!

--
If I've been helpful (or amused you) - Click the Star under my name. I'm Just another satisfied BT Customer. 😉
0 Ratings
gt94sss2
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 16

Cabinet 28 has been enabled for FTTC since 2013.

Cabinet 19 has either just gone live or is about too.

looking at the codelook website, it looks like Openreach are doing some network rearrangement in the area and it's possible the checkers are in the process of being updated.. - hence the conflicting results 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 16

@kinthos wrote:

I don't get it.  Isn't your telephone number suggesting you *can* get fibre?  Pretty good speeds too!

that is assuming the database is correct which may be the problem hence why having problems getting a fibre conenction.  having 2 checkers giving 2 different cabinets is a problem

as current speed cabn be up to 16mb then that suggests cab 19 which is not fibre enbale4d yet

0 Ratings
papalozarou
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 16

@imjolly – thanks again for the info

@kinthos – that's part of the reason I'm confused. When I put the same number into superfast-openreach.co.uk it comes back as being at the field survey stage. If I enter hte number into any service providers checker, it comes back as not able to get fibre.

@gt94sss2 – thanks for that info.

I guess I should ring BT up? Or will they just be checking the same database as openreach (i.e. ending up with Cabinet 19 and no fibre)?

0 Ratings