Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pompey1898
Expert
Message 31 of 36

Re: Daily disconnects and sporadic slow speeds

Go to solution

@RogerBwrote:

Need to see power factors and margins/ error counts v time to form an opinion, sorry, tells me little.
Sorry Roger, I have no idea how to retrieve those from my HH6B.

But didn't you suffer with aluminium lines at some point? .... village, rural? or am I wrong?

Yes, I still live in the same village with the same aluminium cables and we still have enginners moaning about it.

Do you agree with imjolly that I need an engineer.  What is the best way to get the right type as the last BT one was a waste of space ( in my uneducated opinion ).

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 32 of 36

Go to solution

Hi @RogerB, @imjolly, @Ribblelancs,

Further to my last post I have just seen the following on roadworks.org.

Location:(PCP 2) OUTSIDE 7 THE GREEN, ACROSS CARRIAGEWAY TO OPPOSITE 7, THE GREEN, ST NEOTS, PE19 5DG, THE...
Description:overbanding needed and reinstate road...

Any idea what "0verbanding" is please ?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 33 of 36

Go to solution

google is your friend

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 34 of 36

Go to solution

@pompey1898wrote:

@RogerBwrote:

Need to see power factors and margins/ error counts v time to form an opinion, sorry, tells me little.
Sorry Roger, I have no idea how to retrieve those from my HH6B.

But didn't you suffer with aluminium lines at some point? .... village, rural? or am I wrong?

Yes, I still live in the same village with the same aluminium cables and we still have enginners moaning about it.

Do you agree with imjolly that I need an engineer.  What is the best way to get the right type as the last BT one was a waste of space ( in my uneducated opinion ).

An honest opinion? ... I remember your case from old now, thought as much about the aluminium.

Going back to when you were on ADSL, things weren't good, but now you're on VDSL ....  trouble is aluminium lines cause problems of their own, they can induce more noise than copper (act like an aerial for it). If your street sees a multitude of such lines crosstalk and induced noise would be high anyway. The wire control algorithm for VDSL is no different to ADSL, so ineffect little changes.

You've said yourself BTo engineers are aware, they will be, and probably others suffer also. I can't speak for the graphical location for your street cab nor wired network, but it may have its own achilles heal, without the fact it runs on aluminium.

Your margins and throughput considering everything is good, allbeit clearly it suffers sometimes possibly to crosstalk/error correction/whatever ... but ask yourself whether a engineer visit is going to resolve much?

My guess is not. Your line is your line, and until FTTP becomes evident there will be problems. It's the wires that cause the problems. I'd also guess that the village network from that cabinet has also had high level tech support in order to irradicate issues, but the physics is what counts and can't be undermined.

By the fact you have a varying connection in linespeed, but stays stable margin wise says a lot about what's happening.

By all means source an engineer, but personally to me it seems fruitless. That doesn't mean it's a lost cause, things may change on their own, for whatever reason. But I very much doubt you're going to get cable changes this far down the road ... especially in the light of the FTTP roll-out, if it happens.

pompey1898
Expert
Message 35 of 36

Go to solution

Hi @RogerB,

Many thanks for that.  Unless matters get worse still then I will put up with the need to keep logging in to this and other websited every time I lose connection.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 36 of 36

Go to solution

@pompey1898 wrote:

Hi @RogerB,

Many thanks for that.  Unless matters get worse still then I will put up with the need to keep logging in to this and other websited every time I lose connection.

So! We’re are back to aluminium, used when copper prices were high! 

Like the plumber who installed thin gauge copper pipe in your new build house, to save a few bob.

Aluminium will reduce your conductivity. Most of the current flows through the very outside of the conductor at those frequencies . Aluminium is prone to surface imperfections - such as mechanical  damage and oxidation. This and the terminals which are (crimp) compression. Those surface imperfections will not change much, but terminal connections may change.

It’s easy for the engineer to give an opinion on aluminium. Just hang on for a while!

0 Ratings