Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Guru
Message 21 of 36

Re: Daily disconnects and sporadic slow speeds

Go to solution

@pompey1898wrote:

Hi @RogerB, @imjolly, @Ribblelancs,

As you are aware I do not have the technical understanding of you guys.

However, I do not understand where you are coming from with this 14 day issue ?  As posted earlier, I am losing internet connection nearly every day, mainly during the night.  Today I lost connection at 4:04 and then again, as per the WAN log, at 09:25.  The latter was a real problem as I lost an item I was bidding on.

Do I just accept it, or is there something that could be done ? 

PS - A friend has said he has seen a lot of engineers at the cabinets.

Your 4.04am intervention feels like DLM, your 09:25 doesn't.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 22 of 36

Go to solution

@RogerB wrote:

@Ribblelancswrote:

@imjollywrote:

that is almost 14 days stable so wonder if that is '14 day reset' problem  where hub resets every 14 days ish

Mine is due for a 14 day reboot today....From current experience it’s 14 days Plus 20 mins each 14 days. So wait so many 14 days increments and we will eventually reach midnight, when noise levels are lower.

Pot luck as to what the noise margins are  at that time. There’s some sense of consistency though.  There’s a slow but gradual improvement. Now approaching 60 Mbps max, with g.inp functioning.

Noise levels may in most cases be higher at night, influences from continental radio and street lighting, ionospheric radiation etc. the fact you're running g.inp shows your line is in sync with it ... and coping admirably using what interleave its running plus physical layer correction as well. 😉

Hi,

I spent some of my working time  in industry, on electromagnetic compatibility, involving safety critical systems. 

It’s still  an art. Most interference is by conduction, (though supplies) and after that some of it is through near field radiation. It’s the sort of interference in that  grey area of up to 5 metres where it’s neither magnetic, nor radio (radiated). Then there’s the outside radiated spectrum.

It’s not an exact science, but the argument will continue. 

Seems to muddle through , though.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 23 of 36

Go to solution

@pompey1898

line stats you posted showed conenction down after 19098 seconds which is about 13.5 days  

as I said before in a previous post if you are dropping connection daily then that is not normal and you need engineer visit

@RogerB

my connection has been the same for last 3 yrs and never anything other than 80/20mb with noise margin 9.3db+ so never anything link banding i still think this is a vaguery of the DLM system and regardless what theory says in practice there are to many people suffering the same 14 day reset   as it is an inconvenience rather than a problem nobody is/will do anything about it

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 24 of 36

Go to solution

@Ribblelancswrote:

@RogerBwrote:

@Ribblelancswrote:

@imjollywrote:

that is almost 14 days stable so wonder if that is '14 day reset' problem  where hub resets every 14 days ish

Mine is due for a 14 day reboot today....From current experience it’s 14 days Plus 20 mins each 14 days. So wait so many 14 days increments and we will eventually reach midnight, when noise levels are lower.

Pot luck as to what the noise margins are  at that time. There’s some sense of consistency though.  There’s a slow but gradual improvement. Now approaching 60 Mbps max, with g.inp functioning.

Noise levels may in most cases be higher at night, influences from continental radio and street lighting, ionospheric radiation etc. the fact you're running g.inp shows your line is in sync with it ... and coping admirably using what interleave its running plus physical layer correction as well. 😉

Hi,

I spent some of my working time  in industry, on electromagnetic compatibility, involving safety critical systems. 

It’s still  an art. Most interference is by conduction, (though supplies) and after that some of it is through near field radiation. It’s the sort of interference in that  grey area of up to 5 metres where it’s neither magnetic, nor radio (radiated). Then there’s the outside radiated spectrum.

Yes, so did I ...

There's no argument really, it's about what kills digital data transmission, and all the stuff I quoted does, specifically at night. (and why margins erode).  A typical 5 megavolt lightning burst 20 miles away is enough to rack up frame errors on a router/modem. ... and sodium street lights are a constant source of radiation within the broadband spectrum. LEDs are much better. As for the ionosphere, it is what it is ....  bouncy bouncy incoming.  😉

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 25 of 36

Go to solution

@imjollywrote:

@pompey1898

line stats you posted showed conenction down after 19098 seconds which is about 13.5 days  

as I said before in a previous post if you are dropping connection daily then that is not normal and you need engineer visit

@RogerB

my connection has been the same for last 3 yrs and never anything other than 80/20mb with noise margin 9.3db+ so never anything link banding i still think this is a vaguery of the DLM system and regardless what theory says in practice there are to many people suffering the same 14 day reset   as it is an inconvenience rather than a problem nobody is/will do anything about it

The only part of your reply I have an issue with is "vaguery" ... and what DLM is not. It's very complex and mathmetically established, and reason why I wonder about the hub firmwares. There's no such thing as vague logic, either it works to purpose consistently or doesn't, 0 = 0, 1 = 1, no thoughts involved, they are reserved for humans. 😉
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 26 of 36

Go to solution

@imjollywrote:

@pompey1898

19098 = roughly 5.3 hours BTo streetcab intervention perhaps?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 27 of 36

Go to solution

@RogerB wrote:

@Ribblelancswrote:

@RogerBwrote:

@Ribblelancswrote:

@imjollywrote:

Hi,

Yes, so did I ...

There's no argument really, it's about what kills digital data transmission, and all the stuff I quoted does, specifically at night. (and why margins erode).  A typical 5 megavolt lightning burst 20 miles away is enough to rack up frame errors on a router/modem. ... and sodium street lights are a constant source of radiation within the broadband spectrum. LEDs are much better. As for the ionosphere, it is what it is ....  bouncy bouncy incoming.  😉

Were you on TMST?

We are are all low light pollution white led street lights here. Bit of a nuisance at night, if there’s one opposite your bedroom window.

However, my hub rebooted as predicted, about 10 mins ago.

Max data rate is now at 62 Mbps. I’m not complaining!

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 28 of 36

Go to solution

Are these the line stats you were looking for ?

BT Broadband / BT Infinity / BT Infinity 3 and 4:

BT Infinity

Firmware version:

v0.09.06.05093-BT

Firmware updated:

17-Jul-2018

Serial number:

+088047+1741004065

Downstream sync speed:

49.602Mbps

Upstream sync speed:

5.859Mbps

Network uptime:

0 days,10 Hours51 Mins

System uptime:

The one thing that struck a slight chord with me was RogerB’s comment about street lighting. Back in 2014 we had dimmer switches fitted to the street lights in our village, supposedly to dim them from 10pm to 6am.  From investigations by my then neighbour we came to the opinion these were not accurate, either in time or amount of dimming.

That aside I'm not sure that I detected and suggested ideas on a possible fix.

Edit: Sorry - I don't know wht the stats copy and paste so badly now

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 29 of 36

Go to solution

@Ribblelancswrote:

@RogerBwrote:

@Ribblelancswrote:

@RogerBwrote:

@Ribblelancswrote:

@imjollywrote:

Hi,

Yes, so did I ...

Were you on TMST?

We are are all low light pollution white led street lights here. Bit of a nuisance at night, if there’s one opposite your bedroom window.

However, my hub rebooted as predicted, about 10 mins ago.

Max data rate is now at 62 Mbps. I’m not complaining!

Yeah we're all LED now ... glad to say. Happened roughly same time my BB circuit was repaired (coincidence only) But my connections is syncing at 60+ with a 2.5db margin, tiny interleave (4) and g.inp happy days.

Capture.JPG

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 30 of 36

Go to solution

@pompey1898wrote:

Are these the line stats you were looking for ?

BT Broadband / BT Infinity / BT Infinity 3 and 4:

BT Infinity

Firmware version:

v0.09.06.05093-BT

Firmware updated:

17-Jul-2018

Serial number:

+088047+1741004065

Downstream sync speed:

49.602Mbps

Upstream sync speed:

5.859Mbps

Network uptime:

0 days,10 Hours51 Mins

System uptime:

The one thing that struck a slight chord with me was RogerB’s comment about street lighting. Back in 2014 we had dimmer switches fitted to the street lights in our village, supposedly to dim them from 10pm to 6am.  From investigations by my then neighbour we came to the opinion these were not accurate, either in time or amount of dimming.

That aside I'm not sure that I detected and suggested ideas on a possible fix.

Edit: Sorry - I don't know wht the stats copy and paste so badly now

Need to see power factors and margins/ error counts v time to form an opinion, sorry, tells me little. But didn't you suffer with aluminium lines at some point? .... village, rural? or am I wrong?
0 Ratings