cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Daily disconnects since upgrading to Fibre 100

I was previously on Fibre with Halo 1 until ~November last year and then upgraded to Fibre 100 just in time for Christmas.
4 Engineer visits and a second SmartHub 2 and I'm still getting daily disconnects usually occurring around 1am but sometimes 10pm or 2am. Engineers can't seem to find any faults, they've replaced the line from the the building out front to the telephone point in the building and the last engineer actually suggested I go back down to a lower package. I don't use a house phone so don't have one connected but engineers have assured me that wouldn't be an issue.

Could it be caused by a BT maintenance thing if so why every day? I have tried restarting the router daily and it still disconnects regardless, if I ever speak to BT's live chat support they offer to send out another engineer but they can't find any faults. The most recent conversation claimed to find another fault with the hub but my internet died mid conversation so I'm not sure whether a replacement was in fact ordered.

Any suggestions on what could be causing this and what I could do to rectify the problem? Please let me know if there's any more information I can provide to help!

Thanks in advance!

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Daily disconnects since upgrading to Fibre 100

Hi @Benjaminjj and welcome back.

I'm hoping the community can come up with a few ideas here but can you just confirm does the hub come back on itself? How long to the drops last?

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Hi @DavidM ,

Thanks for replying!

It does come back online after about 5-10 minutes but its like clockwork every night. For the past few nights its been floating around 1am every time it disconnects. When I spoke to BT on the phone they said they couldnt see the drop outs on their end as often as I was but that they were visible. They are sending me out another new hub and an engineer visit is booked for Monday as now my speed is below my stay fast guarantee.. Not sure whether this engineer will be able to help with my other problems though!

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Hi @Benjaminjj, is there anything electrical being switched on at the same time of the night in your home, possibly something on a timer?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Hi @NeilO ,

Not that i'm aware of, it's just me in the property and I do have a lamp on a timer but that switches off at 11pm. I don't think i've plugged in anything new since the broadband upgrade either but its not like the router loses power as I can go and check it and see that the lights are flashing?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Hi @Benjaminjj, is your fibre 100 service provided using FTTC Gfast technology or is it a full-fibre line?

I wouldn't expect the router to lose power, there are a few types of electrical interference that can cause issues, the most common two referred to as REIN and SHINE, no joke and can be caused faulty electrical equipment in the vicinity of your line. Basically, they transmit the same radio frequencies that your broadband works on which can cause a disconnection.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Hi @NeilO 

I think its the gfast technology rather than a full-fibre line but is there a way i can check for certain?

Ahh ive heard of these issues before i think! Is there a way to check with a multimeter or something? Or i have an engineer visiting monday is it perhaps something they will be able to check?

Thanks!

Ben

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Hi @Benjaminjj,

Take a look through https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/rein.htm. You'll find some useful information there. It's probably worth mentioning it to the engineer as well.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Hi @DavidM , I had a look through the link and will see if i can dig out an old radio to test that out...

Ironically the internet didn't cut out last night and has almost hit 2 days without dropping out... The engineer who was supposed to turn up today was a no show and I've had no contact from BT to rearrange but my speed has dropped now to 83 from 93 yesterday... Will have to try catch them tomorrow on the phone to see what's up, no word of the new router either.

If having a lower speed somehow makes it more stable that's fine i can manage but I don't want to be paying for a higher speed i'm not getting!

0 Ratings