cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 1351 of 3,467

Re: Dalkeith Exchange - BT Infinity

that's great - wish it was mine but at least that is another available and getting closer to the toll

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
ddf
Contributor
Message 1352 of 3,467

the planned roadwoks outside the old Hopefield Primary school appear to have been completed, looks like new repair work direclty where openreach were due to carry out work, didn't see them doing it would add! I would think that they were clearing a blocked part as it wasn't near any manhole etc. maybe they can blow fibre up to cabs 24 and 28 now!!

0 Ratings
Puppy59
Expert
Message 1353 of 3,467

DDF, don't get too excited, yes they were there to clear a blocked duct, however the duct was covered in concrete so it looks like they had to abandon it for now! 

0 Ratings
ddf
Contributor
Message 1354 of 3,467

oh man!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 1355 of 3,467

two engineers currently working (unscheduled) on cab27 and contrary to the electrician I spoke to 3 weeks ago there is no fibre at the cabinet but they expect possibly today but if not then in next 7 days.  also will be doing cab 45 at same time.  then commissioning

will wait and see

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
dazza616
Aspiring Expert
Message 1356 of 3,467

Just been speaking to the Scottish Government.

Lots and lots of info.

At the end of the day the ball is firmly back in the BT Openreach court so not great news as when you contact them all you get is a cut and paste reply. 

Basically the majority of the Scottish Government project is down to the modelling which BT have provided them.  Very few tweeks.

Given Midlothian has a higher than average coverage the simple fact is that there are more attractive areas of the country for Openreach to target first.  Also a number of the councils first on the list are putting substantial sums towards the project.

As long as BT Openreach stick to the rules then how they meet their quotas of coverage in each area is down to them.  In theory 18months before your area is due to be targeted there should be more info but it is likely to be very little.  It's not until less than 6 months that you will find out whether your cabinet will be upgraded.  There is zero protection so in theory if BT Openreach work out they can meet their quota and leave one cabinet in a town untouched then this will probably happen.

No priority will be given to cabinets with poor speed!

About the only good news is that the project is designed to protect budgets so it shouldn't run out of money before our phase.

At the end of this project there will still be cabinets missed.  I think we need to keep the pressure up on BT Openreach to ensure we are not missed by this project as there is no guarantee.  In theory BT Openreach can change the phase which your area is in so while a long shot it's worth emphasising the fact these cabinets are in modern housing estates.  In theory there should be no problems with ducting or locating power.

So when you contact BT Openreach and they advise you to contact the Scottish Government we should be going back to them and reminding them that they won this contract, have essentially planned it and will be delivering it.  Really the Scottish Government are now just making sure they follow the rules setout.

If you're lucky enough to have a fibre cabinet but no sign of fibre then this work continues outwith the project.  BT Openreach can't suddenly include it and try and make that as part of their targets.  Hopefully these problems will be resolved before 2017!

Given the amount of houses at Hopefield I think BT Openreach are using seriously out of date figures.  I may have picked this up wrongly but it did sound like that any cabinets which met their old criteria for their own rollout shouldn't be paid for under this project.  Might be worth emphasising the change over the last few years as surely Hopefield is now economical for them.  If they did revisit Hopefield then given BT have flexibility as to when they can do work it would be sensible to look at the remaining Bonnyrigg cabinets.  Probably wishful thinking!

I think the key thing is to keep pressure on BT Openreach and get more publicity to our situation.  I've no wish to be missed again!

0 Ratings
tudanski
Contributor
Message 1357 of 3,467

Good news for cab 45 and 27

spoke in detail with the friendly and knowlegable Openreach guys today who were working on 45 and 27. They are indeed blowing the fibre up to the cabinets today and tomorrow, they only thing holding back both cabinets going live is the copper between the cabinets which they have other openreach engineers responsible for this. dont know about timeframes bu i suspect both cabs to be operational within the next 3-4 weeks.

Have fingers crossed we will have fibre before xmas.

Dazza has been doing some terrific digging and putting some excellent points across to maybe get his area done also , I wish you luck mate. I love living here (been here 8 yrs now and only **bleep** thing so far has been the slooooow broadband which should get fixed soon. Ive been quoted max 54mbps download and 15 mbps upload . thats almost twenty times faster than at the moment where its 3mbps on a good day, going as low as 1.4mbps.

here are the stats for my line currently

Line attenuation 52.5 db

Downstream 3325kbps

Upstream 850kbps

Noise Margin 8.4SNR

0 Ratings
Puppy59
Expert
Message 1358 of 3,467

Again, good news about 27 & 45, looks like they are getting their act together!

However (and there always seems to be a "however")  there was work planned on cab 25 between 28/10 and today, despite several dog walks past the cab over the last 3 day's, I saw no evidence of anything  being done.  

As for the duct work which was abandoned today, I will be keeping a close on this to see if they come back.  I am assuming that if the blocked duct has concrete over it, they will dig a new channel to by-pass it?

Dazza, I also wish you good luck with you quest to bring fibre to remaining Bonnyrigg cabs.Smiley Wink

Any new from Easthouses Mayfield or Newtongrange?

0 Ratings
Gaab
Aspiring Expert
Message 1359 of 3,467

I'm thinking the local papers would like the headline "Midlothian Has Slowest Broadband speeds in Scotland" based on the number of connections <2mbs.  Maybe that would get the attention of a few more punters.  

Time to craft a press release I think. Midlothian Advertiser, Evening News... any others?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
bonnyrigger
Contributor
Message 1360 of 3,467

Infinity available 53.2 down, 15.7 up. Great news for us Cab 19 folk, no more fighting the kids for the available bandwidth!
0 Ratings