Re: Dalkeith Exchange - BT Infinity

You could try nothing to lose by trying
0 Ratings
Gaab
Aspiring Expert
Message 72 of 3,467

Here's the crux of my email:

BT has enabled their "Infinity" product at Dalkeith exchange, but as yet, have made plans only to make the service available to EH22 postcode regions. They have a rollout scheduled for Gorebridge exchange, which is also welcome. However, this could potentially leave a vast swathe of Midlothian without access to the FTTC (fibre to the cabinet) product. And that only means more of the current lacklustre broadband provision we experience daily. Even if BT can massage the statistics to show that the entire region is "covered" by super-fast broadband, real experience will be very different.

Their potential exclusion of the postcode area would be foolhardy at a time when small businesses, householders and families are all served by a district which already has good provision of education, with new schools being built, healthcare (stories I can compare with other parts of Scotland would make it seem this way) and also a high ratio of internet connections, satellite television, and other on-demand services (3G mobile coverage isn't bad on some networks) etc....

I asked that the councillor ensures BT Openreach is acutely aware that demand is here in EH18, not only from current residents, but also strategically from the Council who does all it can to ensure the best available services for the area and continues to ensure Midlothian is amongst the most attractive regions in Scotland to live, work and raise a family (and I've lived elsewhere... apart from the crappy broadband Midlothian has a LOT going for it). 

Finally, there is an increasing trend of linking house prices with broadband, I read it in the ESPC, couldn't find it online to quote though.

I don't know how much the councillors care about the internet for their residents and super-fast broadband, maybe even less so. Unless we ask them, they might think it's a non-issue, I guess. 

So nothing lost, you're right John, other than a bit of time.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 73 of 3,467

I am in EH19 - who are you sending it to?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Gaab
Aspiring Expert
Message 74 of 3,467

Hi IMJolly, ahha, nice glad I can help you with something 😉   I found a list of the councillors covering my postcode via the "in my area" box on the front page of the Midlothian website:

http://www.midlothian.gov.uk/

I sent to Bob Constable so far. Will send to others shortly.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 75 of 3,467

good for you others are baxter and milligan.

I will just copy your note and send as well or PM me the full email and I will send as well- 2 better than 1Smiley Wink

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Sylver123
Expert
Message 76 of 3,467

Has there been anymore news yet on FTTC cabinets getting installed around Dalkeith and further out?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 77 of 3,467

not seen anymoreSmiley Mad

0 Ratings
Sylver123
Expert
Message 78 of 3,467

Thanks for the response imjolly.

Does anybody else have the feeling that it's gonna be a long process them

getting FTTC cabinets installed in and around Dalkeith and further out?

Anymore word out yet on the new FTTC document?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 79 of 3,467

I agree with you comment and think it will months and months before we see infinity in EH19 & EH18. even that I consider wishful thinking

0 Ratings
ascender
Contributor
Message 80 of 3,467

Is there any way to get even an indicative date of when Infinity might be available in the EH22 2QH area?

Thanks.

0 Ratings