cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JB2308
Message 1 of 12

Damaged Power Cable - No Internet

Hi All,

My internet connection started having issues on thursday last week.  It was intermittent at best.  Then since Friday night i have had no connection at all and the Hub is flashing red. 

The only issue i can see is that the power cable from the wall plug to the hub is frayed (thanks to my parrot having a nibble!).  I have ordered a replacement power cable and obviously would not have continued using it anyway with that damaged, but i was just wondering if this was enough to cause the internet connection not to work or if there is likely to be another issue going on with the phone/internet connection and its just coincidence?

I dont have a landline phone so cant test if thats working.

The Hub was still getting some power as it was turning on and flashing red as mentioned. 

Have had BT fibre for a couple of years with no issues whatsoever so im hoping it is as simple as replacing the faulty cable... and hiding the new one from the parrot!

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Damaged Power Cable - No Internet

Its unlikely to be the power cable if the hub is powered up.

What is more likely, is that your line has become disconnected, you will need a cheap wired phone to test for dial tone.

If you do not get dial tone, or there is noise on the line, then you need to report it as either no dial tone, or a noisy line. Do not mention the broadband problem, otherwise it will end up in the wrong fault queue, and take much longer to be fixed. There are plenty of people who can fix phone faults, but not as many broadband people.

Did you check the DSL cable that plugs into the home hub, to see if that is damaged?

Sage
Sage
Message 3 of 12

Testing the phone line is the first step in the diagnostic procedure. For that a telephone is essential. You can pick one up from a well known catalogue store for about £5 and can save a possible £85 for an engineer call out.

JB2308
Message 4 of 12

Ok thank you, i will buy a cheap phone tonight and check the line 🙂

0 Ratings
JB2308
Message 5 of 12

Keith_Beddoe

All other cables seem absolutely fine.  no sign of damage at all.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

@JB2308 wrote:

Keith_Beddoe

All other cables seem absolutely fine.  no sign of damage at all.

Most likely a disconnected line, but make sure you plug the phone into the test socket, to prove that the fault is outside, and not in your house.

0 Ratings
JB2308
Message 7 of 12

Whats the test socket?

0 Ratings
CJT80
Expert
Message 8 of 12

@JB2308

Original NTE5 socket : 

OR_Test_Socket.jpg

New NTE 5c socket:

NTE5C_Test.jpg

You need to remove the front bottom panel (old NTE 5) or the full front panel (NTE5C) to access the Test Socket. 

Hope that helps.

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
JB2308
Message 9 of 12

Yes thats really helpful, thank you!  i will have a look tonight.

CJT80
Expert
Message 10 of 12

@JB2308

Glad I could help, 

Please let us know how you get on. 

Hopefully your Parrot will stop nibbling things! 

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"