cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bluegreeny01
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Damaged fibre optic cable

My fibre went down overnight suddenly. Called BT and an engineer was assigned. I was told that if he found the fault was damage caused by me I would have to pay. I then checked the fibre cable running on the side of my house . When the cable went around the corner the brick has a sharp edge and the outer cable insulation has split in 2. The centre core is still intact. When the engineer visited he found the fault to be with the main box the cable is plugged into. When my homehub updated it couldn’t cope and needed replacing. The cable is still in the same condition but everything is working fine. I asked about the cable and the engineer advised me to leave it as if I asked for it to be replaced I would probably be charged. Seems a bit harsh as no one has been near the cable since it was installed. It was run to coincide with my existing sky cables. These were there years before the fibre cable.  How can I be certain I won’t get charged and is it worth getting the cable repaired before I lose my connection. 

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Damaged fibre optic cable

Fibre Optic Cable isn’t affected by corrosion like a Metallic Cable would but if the brick work was sharp enough to cut through the sheathing it’ll cut through the Fibre Cable like it was a hot knife through butter.

Do you know if you have the newer Connectorised Block Terminal Fibre where the Fibre goes straight from the Block on the Pole to the ONT in your house or do you have the older Legacy Blown Fibre where you have a Splice Point on the front of your house?
0 Ratings
Bluegreeny01
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Just had a look and there looks like a splice point on the side of the house. A Black cable going into a brown box. White cable coming out and the going around the house to my internal box.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Oh right, it wouldn’t be a major pain in the **bleep** to change it.

I’d Report it as Damage to BT and ask they send an Openreach Engineer out to replace it.
0 Ratings
Bluegreeny01
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

Ok thanks. 

0 Ratings