cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Data Speed and Max Data Speed Throttled at 20Mbps

Go to solution

Hi All, 

Had about ten engineers come out and look at this but nobody can work out the issue. Socket is showing 55Mbps consistently but the hub is only delivering just under 20Mbps. My data rate and max data rate are showing around 20Mbps which seems to much of a coincidence but how do you get this changed?

All wires have been checked, hub swapped out, wired or not, it's always throttled at 20Mbps. Nobody seems to have any idea what to do next so I was hoping someone on here might be able to help.

These are my logs:

Product nameBT Smart Hub 2
Serial number1905111966
Fireware versionv0.21.03.07094-BT (Thu Jul  9 17:43:55 2020)
Board versionR01
GUI version1.56 15_02_2019
DSL uptime0 days 3 Hours 30 Mins 2 Secs
Data rate20.0 Mbps / 54.4 Mbps
Maximum Data rate22.6 Mbps / 64.4 Mbps
Noise margin6.4/6.1
Line attenuation5.5/15.8
Signal attenuation5.6/18.1
VLAN id101
Upstream error controlOff
Downstream error controlOff
Data sent / received1.8 GB Uploaded / 2.1 GB Downloaded
Broadband usernamebthomehub@btbroadband.com
BT Wi-FiActive
2.4 GHz wireless network nameBT-6FA2T2
2.4 GHz wireless channelSmart (Channel1)
5 GHz wireless network nameBT-6FA2T2
5 GHz wireless channelSmart (Channel36)
Wireless SecurityWPA2 (Recommanded)
Wireless modeMode 1
FirewallOn
MAC address78:DD:12:EA:D9:43
Software variant-
Boot loader 0.1.7-BT (Thu Nov 30 09:45:22 2017)
0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Data Speed and Max Data Speed Throttled at 20Mbps

Go to solution

The 20mb shown in your hub stats is up speed and is the max for fibre 2. You have a down speed of 54mb

not sure what problem is about 20mb

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

Sorry I should say I'm only ever getting 20Mbps down. Hasn't risen above that since July.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

The hub stats show you are getting 54M, where are you obtaining the figure of 20M from?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

The hub stats show you have a 54mb down speed to the hub

run btspeedtester and post results. Must be done with Ethernet connection and no powerline adapter

https://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

Jamie01_0-1601408977985.png

That's connected via ethernet. I've had tech experts come out and confirm I'm only actually getting 20Mbps down. 2 guys said they've never it before. No fluctuation, just stuck at 20Mbps down for about 3 months.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution
Socket is getting 54mb no problem. That's not disputed but I'm only getting 20mb throughput. Tried it with different wires, everything unplugged, only one device on the network, replacement hub and you never get above 20mb down on any connected device. We've honestly had about 10 different engineers out (line engineers, tech experts, openreach etc.) and nobody has a clue. You guys were my last hope. 🙂
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

Do you know if they have done a lift and shift , moving you onto a different DSLAM port , failing that you may need your account ceasing and re-providing,  if somehow it’s some sort of profile corruption.

It does seem odd that you are reported as having a 55Mb sync but stuck at 20Mb , when there isn’t even a download profile of 20Mb, (AFAIK)  doesn't the 55Mb download product have a 10Mb upload , not 20Mb ?

I wouldn’t normally say to use a third party speed test site , but just what results do you get from a non BT Wholesale speed tester ?

Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

Thanks iniltous. Appreciate your help. 

All the 3rd party speed tests are the same whether connected by ethernet or wifi:

Jamie01_0-1601459121582.png

I've also used SpeedChecker app on my phone and it shows the same as above.

If there's contention I'll get about 16MB down but it never, ever rises above 20.

I actually spoke to the value team and they regraded my contract in light of the issues I'm having but my maximum speeds are still supposed to be 67Mbps up and 18Mbps down. The person I spoke to at BT said it would be the same as ceasing and reproviding but I'm not sure if that's the case.

I guess they would need to send a line engineer out to do the DSLAM port switch? I don't honestly know if that's been tried yet.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

@iniltous 

I think @Jamie01 is on fibre 2 hence the 20mb up speed and the 54 down is just a coincidence and could be faster with a better connection