cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Data on BT Smart Hub 2 Power Consumption

Does anyone have information on the power consumption of the BT Smart Hub 2 (I mean actual consumption, not the Power Supply rating)?  I can't find data anywhere.

I have just installed a UPS designed specifically for low-power devices such as Routers.  I tested it streaming video to my Mac, and also to my Apple TV box.  Both tests gave me about 35 minutes before the battery voltage dropped and I lost the Internet connection - that was about what I had expected as it's probably worst-case in terms of router power usage.

However I tried it again with only minor activity (couple of minutes web browsing and a few emails from my iPhone) the power still only lasted for around 40 minutes; I'd expected it to run for an hour or so.  I understood that the "old" BT Smart Hub claimed something around 7W on "idle" and a maximum of 12W.  That set me wondering whether the inclusion of DECT capability in the SH2 is adding some power overhead (I haven't activated Digital Voice, but don't know if that makes a difference).   Also does BT FOC add an overhead?

I have no cell signal where I live I was hoping that the SH2 with a UPS would keep me connected via WiFi calling during outages - but I may need a bigger UPS...

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Data on BT Smart Hub 2 Power Consumption

Hi @globe1nh 

On the back of the User Guide it states:

8.48 Watts Idle

14.08 Watts On

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 3 of 8

What is the rating of the UPS?

You don't say if you bought it new or previously owned so I have to ask, are you sure the batteries are OK

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Thanks Andy - mine didn't have a user guide in the box when it arrived, and I didn't bother to download one because I saw the user interface was pretty much the same as the original Smart Hub - teach me to RTFM next time 🙂

So assuming my streaming tests etc were pulling somewhere near full load, it looks like even on idle I probably won't get much more than around 50 minutes.  Looking at other routers the SH 2 looks to be fairly power-hungry when idling.  According to the UPS supplier, at continuous 12W it should last about 40 minutes and at 6W 75 minutes, so my tests would seem to agree with that.

The UPS will give me what I need at least for now; as I said, I just need it to keep the router running long enough to allow the rest of my gear to save and shut down.  For your info (and anyone else who's interested) the UPS I'm using is a Power Inspired iPower DC UPS 12v, 25mA with a 2600mAh Lithium-ion battery.  seems to charge quite quickly.  It's not much bigger than the standard power supply; they're around £30.  There are 2 options - one is just the UPS and the other (the one I got) comes with a series of adapter tips (because the standard fixed tip on the lead won't fit the 5.5mm x 2.5mm BT SH2 power socket (the green tip is the one to use).

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Bought new - check my later post to Andy005, which shows the UPS is fine, it's just that the BT SH2 is power-hungry...

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

@globe1nh   I recently carried out some tests on the Smart Hub 2, mainly to look at support for ringing devices although the results do provide indications of power consumption.     Results are at https://bt-digital-voice.blogspot.com/

Message 7 of 8

JB2016

You are replying to an 18 month old thread so hopefully the OP has found the answer. Perhaps your reply may assist someone else.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

I am going to try a 12 volt 7 Ahr yuasa sealed lead acid battery as a standby power supply. It should last at least 5 hours and possibly cheaper than a ups.

0 Ratings