Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mr_maximus
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Data rate drop

Hi,

For the last couple of years my BTHH5 has suffered from the problem of rebooting every 2 weeks.  I now gather that this is a known problem regarding DLM for this device. I'd learned to live with the problem, as up to recently the connection quickly re-establishes, and the the hub was routinely resyncing at pretty high speeds ( download data rate over 70 and upload data rate around 20). 

Recently, when rebooting, the hub  resyncs with download speed of ~60 and upload speed of ~16. This is now giving me an effective download speed of around 53Mbps and upload speed of 15Mbps. 

I'm on the superfast fibre 2 package ( renamed option 3 package), According to the information provided by BT, I'm supposed to be getting up to 80Mbps and an average of 67Mbps.   

I've done all the usual checks i.e. the quiet line test, connected into the master/test socket, etc. and cant find anything obviously wrong.

From the hub  - data rates , noise margin, and attenuation;

Data rate:16517 / 60492
7. Maximum data rate:16566 / 60650
8. Noise margin:6.0 / 6.1
9. Line attenuation:15.3 / 15.1
10. Signal attenuation:15.2 / 15.1

As far as I know, 8., 9. and 10. values are good and should not prevent the line from syncing at a higher rate.  Is there anything that can be done to get the hub/line to sync at the higher speed?

Alternatively, I suppose I could ask BT to switch me to the superfast fibre 1 package, if I am stuck at 53Mbps. But I'd like to get back to the faster speeds that I had been getting. 

Thanks.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Data rate drop

the max data rate at 60650kbps suggests that your line is at it's max probably dropped from previous due to more people being added to cabinet

if you are on Huawei cab then you mat get a bit more speed when G.INP is activated by DLM but that is automatic and not manually controlled so just need to wait and see.  If ECI cab then no G.INP at present

enter your phone number and post results  remember delete number  http://dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
mr_maximus
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Hi, Thanks for your prompt reply.

Your response has raised a few more questions;

Does this mean that I'll never get back to the higher speeds, unless lines are removed from the cabinet. Also, will it get worse when more lines are added to the cabinet?  

Would a better router be able to sync back to the higher speeds?

Why do BT declare that my line is an 'up to 80Mbps' line and its average speed  67Mbps?   As it now seems to be the case that my line is capable of a max of around 53Mbps. 

Is it worth paying the extra ££s  for a ~3Mbps increase over the lower priced Superfast fibre 1 package, with its maximum 50Mbps?

I'd recommend that anyone reading this check what actual speed they are getting and see how it compares with what they expect/paying for.

Re. the adslchecker test.  Sorry I'm not sure how to get the whole table from the adslcheck results page, I hope the VDSL part info below is useful;

VDSL Range A (Clean)

8067.5201960AvailableAvailable-- 
VDSL Range B (Impacted)8056.7201741.5AvailableAvailable--

I guess you are familiar with the table, but the first two columns are downstream high and low values and the second two columns are upstream high and low values. the fifth column is downstream handback threshold. 

My speeds used to be very much inline with the A( Clean ) row values.  Would the addition of more lines into the cabinet now make my line now B( Impacted)?  Even if that is the case, my upload speed is now lower than the lowest value of 17 in the table.  BTW, what does 'Impacted' mean. 

How do I find out if my cabinet is ECI or Huawei ? This information is not in the adslcheck table.  

Regards..

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Which exchange and cab are you on?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
mr_maximus
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Sorry missed that. It was above the table.

Exchange HURSTPIERPOINT is served by Cabinet 7
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Unfortunately cab is ECI so no G.INP at present

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

Are you still connected to test socket with a filter to see what changes/improvements it makes. I doubt changing routers will make much if any change to your speed

when test socket check for line noise and also check there is no dial tone at any extension socket

0 Ratings