Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yiako78
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Data rate is much lower than maximum data rate

Good evening,

I am facing major problems with my line for the past few months

At first I used to get speeds around 50mb but now it is nowhere near that , even though the cabinet is around 100 meters away. I talked with BT and they were not helpful at all.They just offered to send a technician but I think that it is not necessary since the maximum data rate is quite higher than what I am getting, so to me it looks like a settings issue.

I tried :

1) restarting the router,

2) Factory reset

3) using the test socket

but things didn't change.

As you can see, the attainable speed is much higher than my actual speed.

My line is usually very stable and I dont get disconnected but the speed is disappointing.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?

BT 1.PNG

BT 2.PNG

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Data rate is much lower than maximum data rate

Please can you run the Further Diagnostics option on the BT Wholesale speed tester, that will give the IP profile.

In order to find out what services and speed range you should be getting, please enter your phone number into this form.
Broadband availability checker

Please remember to edit out your phone number before you post the results.

0 Ratings
yiako78
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Here it is

bt4.PNG

bt3.PNG

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Your connection speed is 43.98Mbs, which is within range A of the availability checker, so there is no fault as such.

The maximum rate can be misleading, and it only represents an instantaneous value which could be achieved under ideal conditions with no errors. The noise margin is also correct.

Your IP profile is 41.27Mbs, which is about right for your connection speed.

Download speed is quite a bit low, but that could be due to network congestion, as it is peak time at the moment.

I assume you were using a computer connected to the home hub using an Ethernet connection?

Apart from the download speed, I cannot see anything else wrong.

0 Ratings
yiako78
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

Thanks for your fast replies Keith.

Yes, I am using a computer connected to the home hub using an Ethernet connection.

What I dont understand is how I was getting speeds up to 50 mb until a few months ago?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

@yiako78 wrote:

Thanks for your fast replies Keith.

Yes, I am using a computer connected to the home hub using an Ethernet connection.

What I dont understand is how I was getting speeds up to 50 mb until a few months ago?

Was that connection speed or download speed?

As more people get connected to the cabinet, you get crosstalk between cable pairs which reduces the connection rate of each user. The availability checker is updated on a regular basis, to reflect the average connection speed expected on the cabinet.

A few months ago, that was probably showing a higher value for range A.

BT will not act on the results you are getting, because they are higher than the hand back threshold of 34.8Mbs.

If you would like to run a speed test during off peak times, which could be difficult over the holiday period, that would determine whether your poor download speed is due to congestion.

Try running a test early one morning, and post the results again.

0 Ratings
yiako78
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

It was download speed. A few days ago it went back up to 48mb but that was only for a day or 2.

Many thanks for your help Keith
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

@yiako78 wrote:
It was download speed. A few days ago it went back up to 48mb but that was only for a day or 2.

Many thanks for your help Keith

If you think that it is due to peak time congestion, then if you follow the instructions on the link below, it can be investigated. Thanks

Action to take when download speed are dropping during peak times

0 Ratings