cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
swfraseR
Message 1 of 9

Dealing with awful ping fluctuation and packet loss in online games, how to proceed?

Hi guys.

I've been with BT for around 2/3 years at this point including a move across town. I'm currently on the BT Infinity 2 package but need to downgrade as we don't get the required speeds due to our wiring in our neighbourhood but that's something I've yet to deal with.

The main issue I have with my internet connection is during playing online games I experience ping variance, intermittant packet loss and just awful pings to servers in general. I moved around 2 miles from my last flat to this one and connections to online servers jumped around 30ms each. My main issue is that contacting BT support in any way I just end up getting read the script that everyone end's up being read and told that everything is fine on their end as they see my DL and UL speeds are within what they deem to be an "acceptable" range (I'm on infinity 2 and get speeds of 20 down and 3 up). Any idea on how I can speak to someone higher up in the chain or any idea on how I'm supposed to proceed from here to see if my issue can get seen to?

Testing on pingtest.net I get around 5 or 10% packetloss around half the time, and the other times it's okay. This is exceptionally detrimental to everyone in the house as one of my flatmates is a Semi-Pro Counter Strike player.

Any ideas?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 9

Re: Dealing with awful ping fluctuation and packet loss in online games, how to proceed?

Posting some tracerts to the affected servers be would be a start.

Lines 1-12 from the HH5 troubleshooting/helpdesk page.

0 Ratings
swfraseR
Message 3 of 9

Re: Dealing with awful ping fluctuation and packet loss in online games, how to proceed?

3 examples of tracert's to valve's EU east and west servers and one to bbc.co.uk for another example.

1. Product name:BT Home Hub
2. Serial number:+068341+NQ32911628
3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.130.1.26.1.1 (Type A) Last updated 28/10/15
4. Board version:BT Hub 4A
5. WAN:PPP Connected
6. Data sent/received:44.9 GB / 1379.9 GB
7. Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com
8. BT Wi-fi:Yes
9. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID:BTHub4-FWKZ
10. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections:Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 144 Mb/s))
11. 2.4 GHz Wireless security:WPA and WPA2
12. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

I can't see anything out of the ordinary with those?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
swfraseR
Message 5 of 9

In 2 of the tracert's theres 40 ms fluctuations all on the same hop, I experience this within game constantly. ping going up and down.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

Anything after hop 7 is external to BT's network.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
swfraseR
Message 7 of 9

So we just ignore the fact that this doesnt happen in another part of this city? And we ignore the fact that this doesn't happen when I'm at home 100 miles further away? So BT doesnt work to rectify situations like this?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

as posted it is not a BT issue

your first hop to your hub is higher than normal normally <1 are you using a wired or wireless connection
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

The hand over point from BT to the peering network will vary depending on your location and the route that the traffic takes won't always be the same depending on many factors such as how busy the network is at the time.

The issue is outside of BT's network so no, BT would not investigate this. Just in the same way that the national power grid wouldn't investigate why your kettle has stopped working.
0 Ratings