Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
xarig
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 14

Deeply frustrated by upgrade

Go to solution

I was previously signed up to BT option 3 with 'Fibre to the box' and an expected speed of 12Mbs. I was never able to achieve that and despite several hours on phones to India and promises of an engineer visit nobody came, never called back etc. I basically gave up and learned to live with the 6Mb/s I was getting.

Then I was offered an upgrade to BT Infinity 1, with expected speeds of 18Mbs, so I thought I'd have a go... am I a complete mug?

So, I've been upgraded for about 20 hours now and no change. Ive reset the Home Hub 3 and the 'white openreach box', but no change.... still 6Mbs. When I run the checker suggested in other posts I get the following

Picture1.png

My neighbour is achieving a speed of 25Mbs and if I'm reading it correctly I should be able to also?

Can anyone help me out here, I'm dreading the tought of wasting yet more time being told to turn my computer on and off again!!

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Checked2013
Expert
Message 2 of 14

Re: Deeply frustrated by upgrade

Go to solution

The BT option 3 with Fibre to the box was offered to people who were not able to get above 15Mbs on BT's Infinity service.

Many factors are involved with what speed you can get, but the most common is down to the distance to the street cabinet and quality of cable that is between you and the cabinet. It's very rare for these to change unless Openreach have totaly replaced both the cabinet and cable and you end up being closer to the cabinet.

Therefore because of this no change would have come about by you taking the BT Infinity 1 service

0 Ratings
xarig
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 14

Go to solution

Thanks for the response, but I'm not convinced. My neighbour is getting the full 25Mbs, I know he had to basically threaten court action to get his problem sorted out, there was some probem in the cabinet and incorrect settings? I guess I'm going to have to go the same way?

0 Ratings
Checked2013
Expert
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution

Most likely you are on Range B which is for impacted lines (which shows it could be around 10Mbs) . Your neigbour might be on a different route to the cabinet than your line and highly unlikely that settings in the cabinet would be wrong on two different installs

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution

@xarig wrote:

Thanks for the response, but I'm not convinced. My neighbour is getting the full 25Mbs, I know he had to basically threaten court action to get his problem sorted out, there was some probem in the cabinet and incorrect settings? I guess I'm going to have to go the same way?

You should speak to your neighbour and get more details of how his fix was achieved.

Are you both fed from the same pole or something?

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
xarig
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution

So I've spent 40 minutes on the phone and after all the usual resetting of modems etc. my line has been tested and identified as having a fault. Now I have to wait until next Monday to be called back by the service centre, feels like I've been here before! Let's see if I get a call, this time I made to sure to get a number to call them on if I don't.

Thanks for everyone's help, I'll let you know how we progress.

Cheers

0 Ratings
Checked2013
Expert
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution

Having just looked back at your old posts I did notice that you had problems with speed on your line back in 2011, did you ever got those resolved?

0 Ratings
xarig
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution

I got some resolution, the engineer 'changed the connectors', whetever that meand, but never got the speeds promised. I think there are some 'issues' with the lines from the cabinet up my road. Many households along this road complain of poor speeds and the BT Openreach van is a semi permanent fixture, with an engineer usually rifling around a manhole surrounded by a spiders' web of cables.

Hopefully this time I'll get the problem sorted out. Thanks for all the help.

0 Ratings
Havnalaff
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution
@xarig, we had a serious problem last September with our phone and a very slow BB connection, this turned out to be the 50+ years old 'drop cable' between our property and the buried box in the sidewalk outside. This old cable had cardboard insulation in it! Openreach replaced the cable with a new armoured one, and all is well, clear phone and fast BB speeds. Hope you get it all sorted out soon.
0 Ratings
xarig
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 14

Go to solution

My frustration deepens - Took half a day off work to be at home for the engineer call scheduled for between 4:15 and 6:15. Guess what, no one called. So I called the number they gave me and I've been holding for 20 minutes.

THIS IS A COMPLETE JOKE!!

How do I go about claiming compensation?

My neighbour said they had to reset something in the software to do with interleaving, once they did he went to 25Mb/s download and 4Mb/s upload. If only somebody from BT would talk to me 😞

0 Ratings