cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 17

Demarcation box

Go to solution

I will be brief as I keep loosing the text.

The fibre runs from the street toby box and normally lands on the side of the house. A pig tail is then taken through the wall and to the A/D converter.

My question. Is there any reason why the demarcation box cannot be located inside the house. The fibre would then run from the street to its final destination. My study is a long way from the most convenient wall so this makes sense. Like having the BT master socket in the house.

Thank you,

Cashandlearn.

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

Re: Demarcation box

Go to solution

@Crashandlearn 

I'm trying to get a mental picture of what you're asking as 'The fibre would then run from the street to its final destination' as the fibre's final destination is the ONT not the demarcation box or CSP as it's more commonly known.

Apart from the fact that no provider that I'm aware of will install an internal CSP, I don't understand what the benefit would be as the incoming fibre cable would still end at the CSP / demarcation box & an outgoing fibre cable would then go to your ONT.

Just as it does with the external CSP / demarcation box.

The reason for the external CSP, as with the old basic telephone lines, is that a street-side  damaged cable fault can be rectified without an engineer having to enter your property.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 17

Go to solution

@caravanj 

I have an internal CSP so you can have one fitted probably depending on openreach fitter and ofcourse you have to ask

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 4 of 17

Go to solution

@imjolly 

I live & learn.

But you still have a cable from your CSP to your ONT, that was the bit I didn't understand as it doesn't really save anything.

It's still an incoming cable to the CSP & an outgoing cable to the ONT no matter where they're located.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 17

Go to solution

Why don't you just ask the instal engineer if he will run a fibre cable from the CSP (Customer Splice Point you refer to as demacation box) externally via an outside wall to your study. Most will agree unless there is a compelling reason not to do so and then alternative options may be suggested.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 17

Go to solution

@caravanj wrote:

@imjolly 

I live & learn.

But you still have a cable from your CSP to your ONT, that was the bit I didn't understand as it doesn't really save anything.

It's still an incoming cable to the CSP & an outgoing cable to the ONT no matter where they're located.

Yes but my incoming fibre cable comes into my loft conversion under the eves and fitted a very small CSP and my ONT situated right next to the CSP

ONT  + internal CSPONT + internal CSP

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 7 of 17

Go to solution

@imjolly 

Thanks for the explanation.

I suppose it could be safer if the incoming cable was totally ducted & capped with an internal CSP as it would be more difficult for anyone to deliberately tamper with it.

Message 8 of 17

Go to solution

A separate optical cable is required from the CSP ( internal or external ) to the ONT , because the cable from the CSP  to the ONT , is designed to be ran internally and is pre-made ( in various lengths ) with  a SC/APC plug on the end , that plugs into the ONT  ,  the external cable from the CBT to the CSP is an external grade cable and not suitable for running internally, ( a couple of metres is OK if an internal CSP ) so although you may not think it necessary to have two cables spliced together, it is .

Message 9 of 17

Go to solution

@iniltous 

A separate optical cable is required from the CSP ( internal or external ) to the ONT , because the cable from the CSP  to the ONT , is designed to be ran internally and is pre-made ( in various lengths ) with  a SC/APC plug on the end , that plugs into the ONT  ,  the external cable from the CBT to the CSP is an external grade cable and not suitable for running internally, ( a couple of metres is OK if an internal CSP ) so although you may not think it necessary to have two cables spliced together, it is .

That's what I couldn't understand about @Crashandlearn's original post when they mentioned about the external cable coming into the house with the ONT as the final destination.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 17

Go to solution

So many replies and so quickly.

Thank you all.

To give a little more background. I have a shared drive with a neighbour and the distance from the pavement box to my house is 70 meters. The contractor wants to excavate the drive and my neighbour and myself are unhappy with this. We have installed a flexible conduit which lies in the hedge line and goes the 70 meters to the house, 2 meters up the wall and 15 meters to my office. It is 20mm polypropylene and is intended to give some physical protection. Since the run is continuous it just seemed sensible to run the brown sleeving all the way to my office, connect the CSP there and then on to the ONT. Clean run and no external break in the conduit. If I am obliged to mount the CSP outside then I will have to install a box and presumably a couple of glands for the fibre to loop out into the box for its onward journey.

I want to be able to tell the installer - use my conduit and put the CSP in my study. Preceded by please.

I don't want him to say - according the the code of practice, Section B, subsection 11.a (or whatever) we must do it this way.

If there is no rule then I feel more confident about arguing  the toss.

I am new to this and still  remember 78s so thanks again for the help and the patience,

Crashandlearn,

0 Ratings