cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lowrys
Beginner
Message 1 of 26

Desperate for help: connection zero speed WIFI/wired despite BT saying no faults and good speed

Go to solution

Hello, I'm absolutely desperate for help so posting here in case anyone's able to do so. Thanks in advance for reading. I'm disabled with health issues and this internet issue is causing me real problems.

1. My fibre (not full fibre to house - last bit is copper or whatever) connection was fine until just before Christmas - got somewhere between 20-35mbs depending on time of day.
  2. Just before Christmas, an Openreach engineer working on the flat below mine somehow managed to cut my connection completely in the junction box in our shared stairwell.
  3. BT sent a different Openreach engineer out to fix it, which he did. He tested the line and said no faults.
  4. As soon as he left, I checked the speed (wired and WIFI) and it was about 0.001mbs. The hub was connected and blue, and my devices connected, but the speed was next to zero. I reset the hub and it went back to normal later that day. I didn't have this virtually-zero speed issue before my line was cut and fixed.
  5. BT were going to send me a new hub but didn't. Connection was fine over Christmas.
  6. Last night about 7pm, a power cut switched everything off (I don't turn my hub off). Power came back and connection was fine yesterday evening, streamed video just fine.
  7. This morning, connection has next to zero speed on WIFI and wired again. Can't even connect to do a speed test, though I managed one earlier and it was virtually zero mbs.
  8. Tested another BT hub that I know is working, and same results - hub connects to the line, and I can connect to the hub, but zero speed.
  9. I have a split master socket thingie (separate holes in the socket for broadband and phone), and the phone line is working.
  10. Called BT and they said they can't see any faults on the line, and that my line speed is showing as 39mbs to them. They've raised with Openreach but I haven't heard anything.

So I feel I've ruled out everything on my end - it's not my devices, it's not my wires, and it's not - it appears - the hub, as the other one just gives me the same zero speed too.

I'm totally out of ideas. The only thing I can think of is that my line speed has been restricted for some reason, but I cannot for the life of me understand why it would be restricted as a result of one disconnection last night, why it would be restricted so much that it's useless (39mbs down to 0.01) or how I can get it fixed.

Thanks anyone who can offer any help.

0 Ratings
25 REPLIES 25
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 26

Re: Desperate for help: connection zero speed WIFI/wired despite BT saying no faults and good speed

Go to solution

can you post hub stats  if hh5 then troubleshooting then helpdesk  and if hh6 then advanced settings then technical log information

you said phone works but is there any noise   dial 17070 option 2  should be silent and best with corded phone

enter phone number and post results  remember delete number  https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 26

Re: Desperate for help: connection zero speed WIFI/wired despite BT saying no faults and good speed

Go to solution

@Lowrys 

Please can you post the connection information from the home hub?

If you are using the BT Smart hub you can get your connection stats by, Opening a new web browser on your connected device and type 192.168.1.254 or bthomehub.home into the address bar. This will open the Hub Manager.  Click Advanced Settings’ and then ‘Technical log’

Lowrys
Beginner
Message 4 of 26

Go to solution

Thank you both for replying.

Here's the line test results - I listened and could hear a consistent hiss, not sure what that means.

Lowrys_0-1580300514779.png

And here's the info in the technical log - bear in mind I have reset the hub about 8 times today and tried switching with another:

Product name:  BT Hub 6A

Serial number: +084316+NQ83651955

Firmware version: SG4B1000E01E

Firmware updated: 28 Aug 2019

Board version: 1

GUI version: 1.105.0

DSL uptime: 0 days, 1h, 33min, 9 seconds

Data rare: 8.02 mbps / 40.00 mbps

Maximum data rate: 8024 / 46369

Noise margin: 6.1 db / 7.8 db

Line attenuation: 23.2 db

Signal attenuation: 0 db / 23.2 db

VPI/VCI: 0/38

Modulation: G_993_2_ANNEX_B

Latency type: fast path

Data sent / recieved: 13 MB uploaded / 26 mb downloaded

Broadband username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com

BT WIFI: not active

2.4 GHZ name: BTHyb6-JH3M

2.4 GHZ channel: Smart (channel 11)

5 GHZ wireless name: same as 2.4

5 GHZ wireless channel: Smart (channel 36)

Wireless security: WPA2

Firewall: on

0 Ratings
pippincp
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 26

Go to solution

If you used a corded phone it means you have noise on your line and should report a noisy line with no mention of broadband.

Your uptime is only 11/2 hrs is this you restarting the hub?

0 Ratings
Lowrys
Beginner
Message 6 of 26

Go to solution

Re. phone - thanks. I used a corded phone and could hear a slight, consistent, steady background hiss. But the hub logs (posted above) seem to show a download rate of ~40mbs, whereas when I connected any device (either WIFI or wired) to the hub, the speed I get is so slow I can't even load a webpage. I am totally baffled as to how some noise on the line could cause that, when the connection has been working just fine for the last month or so.

Re. reset - yes, I've reset the hub (powered off and on) several times this morning.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 26

Go to solution
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 26

Go to solution

you need to stop powering hub on/off as that will have a detrimental affect on your connection speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Lowrys
Beginner
Message 9 of 26

Go to solution

OK, I've turned off Smart setup. Should I turn the hub off and on again?
BTW thank you everyone so much for helping me. I really appreciate it.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 26

Go to solution

as I said you need to stop resetting the hub

0 Ratings