cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pippincp
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 26

Re: Desperate for help: connection zero speed WIFI/wired despite BT saying no faults and good speed

Go to solution

No do not restart the hub!

0 Ratings
Lowrys
Beginner
Message 12 of 26

Re: Desperate for help: connection zero speed WIFI/wired despite BT saying no faults and good speed

Go to solution
Thanks. Haven't reset. Turning smart setup off hasn't improved anything 😕
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 26

Go to solution

as you have a hh6 try splitting the wireless networks  https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/fix-a-problem/broadband-and-wi-fi/i-want-to-improve-my-wi-fi/how-d...

at same time you could turn off the smart channel selection and select your channels manually

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Lowrys
Beginner
Message 14 of 26

Go to solution
@imjolly

Thanks for the suggestion, but the issue I have is that I'm not getting a usable speed either WIFI or wired. It's about 40mbs at the hub and less than 0.1mbs on my devices both wired and WIFI. I can't understand what could possibly have happened, or what is stopping every connected device from actually getting a speed sufficient to load a webpage. I can't even use a speedtest, because it won't load.
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 26

Go to solution

have you checked MYBT to see if BT Web Protect is active?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Lowrys
Beginner
Message 16 of 26

Go to solution
@imjolly Checked and it's not active
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 26

Go to solution

Its possible you have a faulty home hub, but without something else to check it against, you are stuck.

Did you do a full factory reset of the home hub?

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11386/%7E/how-do-i-reset-my-bt-hub-to-its-factory-set...

If there is a high number of errors on the line, that will affect throughput, even though the connection speed would be fine.

Unfortunately you cannot measure errors on the home hub, it can only be done from the BT end.

All you can do is contact BT again, and say you cannot connect to the home hub, even though the connection speed is fine.

It could also be a faulty port in the cabinet.

What I will do is to see if one of the moderators can look at the performance monitors to see if there is a high error rate. They are quite busy, so it may take a few days.

0 Ratings
pippincp
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 26

Go to solution

Just to note , after a factory reset smart setup will need switching off again and the networks split.

0 Ratings
Lowrys
Beginner
Message 19 of 26

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe Thanks.

"Its possible you have a faulty home hub, but without something else to check it against, you are stuck."

I've checked using another BT hub that I know for certain is working. Same zero speed.

"Did you do a full factory reset of the home hub?"

I pressed a pin into the hole on the back of the hub to reset it this morning. Didn't help.

"If there is a high number of errors on the line, that will affect throughput, even though the connection speed would be fine.

Unfortunately you cannot measure errors on the home hub, it can only be done from the BT end."

Have spoken to BT numerous times - they say they can't see any faults but have raised it with Openreach, but who knows what they'll do.

"All you can do is contact BT again, and say you cannot connect to the home hub, even though the connection speed is fine."

I can connect my devices to the home hub - I just can't connect to the internet.

"It could also be a faulty port in the cabinet."

We had a power cut last night about 7, but the internet was fine last night after that. Could a faulty port mean I can't connect to the internet even though the home hub is showing as having a good connection?

"What I will do is to see if one of the moderators can look at the performance monitors to see if there is a high error rate. They are quite busy, so it may take a few days."

Thanks very much, I appreciate it.

0 Ratings
prashant_rana
Beginner
Message 20 of 26

Go to solution

Try factory reset your hub.  Find the recessed "Factory Reset" pinhole button on the back of your Hub and press and hold it with any paper clip or similar  for 20 seconds.

0 Ratings