Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
akjmoran
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 20

Desperately need help to fix a connection issue

I have been with bt broadband for a good 6/7 years and my broadband had always been perfectly fine however around 3 months ago there became issues; at the time i had the bt home hub 4 and my speeds had gone from 60mbps/20mbps to 10mbps/5mbps also as i play computer games there became issues with latency and constant stuttering. I contacted bt and they sent out a smart hub which seem to have addressed up/down speeds however this only made latency issues worse. BT then sent out a technician to check our sockets and they said they should be working fine but nothing was fixed so i then rang customer support to which i was told 'We dont deal with this stuff, have a nice day' and the call was ended which has obviously has annoyed me as it is. The problems only seem to be getting worse, as an example, while playing call of duty my latency will jumo from 20ms to 300-400ms contsantly making it unplayabl. I feel like ive tried everything eg i have made sure all ports needed for xbox live are open etc etc but have had no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 20

Re: Desperately need help to fix a connection issue

Welcome to this user forum.

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

Is your gaming computer connected by wireless or using an Ethenet cable. Wireless is likely to give very poor results.

When you were using a home hub 4, you must have been using a white Openreach modem as well. Has that now been removed?

0 Ratings
akjmoran
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 20

Hello,

I have just ran the quiet line test and there was no noise

My console is connected via ethernet

When the technician was called out he installed a new socket, it is white with master socket 5c & openreach written on it 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 20

So you no longer have a white Openreach modem, that was needed when you had a home hub 4?

Do you have any other phone sockets or extension wiring.

Did you make sure that you turned off smart setup on the home hub, as that causes lots of problems?

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/switching-smart-setup-on-and-off-on-the-bt-ho...

0 Ratings
akjmoran
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 20

Sorry i don't know if this was made clear in my original post but i am now using the bt smart hub however this has brought its own problems ie latency issues. There are 2 sockets in my house, both of which were replaced by the technician when he was called out. I am using the main socket which is a white openreach modem which reads 'Master Socket 5C' on top. I have just now disabled smart setup however the issue doesn't seem to be fixed.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 20

Its still not clear, you say you have a white Openreach modem, as well as a smart hub?

A white Openreach modem looks like this.

modem.jpg

That is what you must have used when you had a home hub  4.

Connected like this.

infinity.jpg

Has that white Openreach modem been removed now?

A socket 5c is just a master socket which is what I assume you have?

nte 5c (2).jpg 

Is the smart hub plugged directly into that left hand socket?

0 Ratings
akjmoran
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 20

Yes sorry my bad, the socket I now have says openreach on it so i assumed i had an openreach modem. I now have the bottom image but i used to have the modem in the top two images
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 20

You had me confused Smiley Wink

Do you have a spare microfilter, usually two are supplied with each home hub?

microfilter.jpg

0 Ratings
akjmoran
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 20

I did not receive any with my smart hub but yes I do have one and i currently use it
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 20

@akjmoran wrote:
I did not receive any with my smart hub but yes I do have one and i currently use it

Why are you using it, its not needed if you have that 5c, the home hub plugs directly into the left socket. The right hand socket is only for a phone.

If you try and get broadband from it, you will get a very slow speed, or no speed at all.

0 Ratings